Chapter 10

The day passed quickly, to Wrenna's relief, with hours of teaching, judging competition numbers, and a little time in between to have lunch with Gabe and Aurora. They sat in some corner of the hotel, eating on the floor, to which Aurora said, "Picnic! Picnic!" excitedly.

"You're so nervous." Gabe remarked. "I can see it on you."

"Wouldn't you be?" She shot back.

"Anyone would. I think I'm kind of nervous for you." He admitted. "It's going to be okay, though. No matter what."

"I hope so." She sighed.

"It will be, Wrenna. I know it." He assured her. After a few more minutes, Wrenna went back into teaching, then judging, then teaching again. She received a text from Gabe during the afternoon confirming that Stevie's plane had landed, and then that she had arrived at the hotel, with Lori and Sharon in tow. Upstairs, he and Aurora entertained them, waiting for Wrenna to finish her last class.

"Something is up with you three." Gabe finally said, after watching the tension radiate off the trio. All three women were dead silent. "Okay, now I know I'm right. Can I just ask – are you all here because of Joe Walsh?" At the mention of his name, Lori made a small sound, before she could stop herself.

"I knew it!" Gabe said, shaking his head.

"Dammit, Gabriel!" Stevie exclaimed. "How do you always do that?!"

"My dad always says I should have been a detective." He shrugged, smiling. "But for real? It wasn't hard to figure out. I just watch people. I see things. Like I saw how weird Joe was being at the concert. Weird with Wrenna, but not with me? Being surprised she was married, being awkward when she hugged him. And third row seats aren't free family seats – we always sit in the back of the floor at your concerts. So that was strange to me. So I googled him."

"And what did you find out?" Stevie asked, biting her lip.

"That you dated him in the 80s, and you broke up in early '86 – right before you went to rehab." He sat, leaning in towards Stevie. "But you didn't really break up before rehab, did you?"

"Oh, we definitely did." She nodded, eyes wide.

"Okay, but you kept seeing him after? Until October or so? About then?" Gabe continued.

"Yes Gabe, about then." Stevie grimaced.

"My dad is right – I'm in the wrong career." Gabe joked, trying to lighten the mood.

"How much does Wrenna know about this?" Stevie asked.

"So it's true then?" Gabe countered. "Joe is really her biological father?" Once again, Stevie sighed, taking a long pause afterwards.

"I was hoping to tell her first, but yes, Joe Walsh is her biological father." She finally answered, and for a second, it felt as it all the air was gone from the room.

"Okay." Gabe replied, quietly. "Here's what she knows." He recounted the night of the concert, telling Stevie all about the way Joe acted, and the conversation he and Wrenna had when they got back to their hotel room.

"Does she know that's why I'm here?" Stevie inquired.

"No, I think she really thinks you're here to watch the closing show. We both thought that."

"We are." Lori interjected. "That's just not the whole reason."

"She's planning to ask you about Joe when she comes up here in a little bit. She's been anxious all day, so I know she's not going to be able to wait long." He warned them.

"I was prepared for that." Stevie nodded. "I didn't know she knew, but I wondered if she might figure it out. I just knew that after Joe came and saw me in Spokane yesterday, I-"

"Wait – what?!" Gabe's jaw dropped. "He came to Washington?!"

"Yes, he did. That's why we're here now."

"Why did he come to Washington? He was just here in New York two nights ago. What would-" and suddenly, he stopped. "Oh my God." He ran his fingers through his hair. "He's going to try to tell her himself, isn't he?"

"Well, I don't know that for a fact." Stevie countered. "But I think he wanted to. Which is why I had to come here and talk to her. Joe has never had any tact. I didn't want him to blindside her."

"Damn." Gabe muttered. "This is really heavy, isn't it?" He looked up at Stevie.

"Yes Gabe, it is." Stevie replied.

"Where's Mick? Is he coming?"

"He's in LA, in sessions with another artist. I called him to let him know, and he's going to come later this evening." At that moment, Gabe's phone buzzed. He looked at it, and then back at Stevie.

"It's Wrenna. She's on her way up. Do you want me to stay, or take Auri and go?"

"I think it'll be best if you stay. She might need you afterwards." Stevie told him. Gabe nodded, sitting down on the bed.