Ch. 31 Police Station

*Jordan

I park the camper at the back of a pizza parlor near the police station and walk the rest of the way. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to not be associated with Cole in case he does something to Brandon, but I'm pretty sure a neighbor or two could put me at Brandon's house with him.

If I end up in jail for a crime I didn't commit it won't help Emma. I keep going, though. I have to get her out of Trey's hands and to safety. I'll do as Cole said, and tell them I got an anonymous tip. Then, if I have to, I'll be honest about this morning. I left before any major crimes were committed.

Cole knows what he's doing.

Body trembling and throat parched, I walk into the office and stop at the reception.

"Hello," I whisper. The sleepy-eyes clerk lifts her head at me. "I received an anonymous tip about my daughter, who was kidnapped three years ago."

She blinks at me, and recognition transforms her expression. "You mean about Emma?" Doubt fills her voice, though.

"Yes." I swallow. I can hardly speak. "It's about Emma. I need to talk to the officer in charge of the investigation." The file kept changing hands as it was passed from person to person. I couldn't keep track. "I have a name for my ex-husband. The tip was credible, the person said they helped Trey procure a fake I.D. right before he left. Larry Pharmer in Kansas."

***

My eyes sting, I'm so tired and my lower back aches. My shoulders and jaw ache. I think I'm hungry, but the thought of eating makes me sick. I've been holding the same cup of coffee since after lunchtime, when all I ate was a few chips from the vending machine.

Someone approaches and I set the coffee on the small side table in the waiting room and stand up. Officer O'Hara reaches to take my hands, smiling gently, almost sadly.

It must be bad news. My lungs collapse, but I remain standing to listen.

"Ms. Crawford, the officers in Lawrence, Kansas, have questioned a man named Larry Pharmer. His fingerprints have come through. It's a match. We found him."

"Oh," I gasp and sit down. He follows me, to kneel at my side, still holding my hand. "He has a registered marriage license to another woman, she claims that a young child with the same description as Emma is her biological child."

"What?"

"Ms. Crawford, can you confirm that this is your daughter?"

He shows me a picture on his phone. A scared, little girl with golden brown curls in pigtails stares up, past whoever took the picture. She's hugging herself, as if to keep herself safe. I take the phone. The picture blurs as tears fill my eyes. The high cheekbones, the tiny chin, the set of her eyes. I would know this child anywhere. "Yes. Yes, that's her."

"All right. I'll file the paperwork and we'll get her home just as soon as possible. You should go home, too though. It's going to be hours before we can get her here."

"No, I'll wait. I'm fine—"

"Jordan," a warm voice says at my side. Cole. He touches my arm and runs his hand to my back. "It's all right. We can go home and wait."

He helps me stand and walk to the parking lot.

"How did you know to come?" I ask as he walks me to his car. "What about Brandon?"

"We had a long, good talk while you were at the station. We came to a certain understanding. He's gone."

"What?" I gasp.

"Not like that. He's left town already, but I have insurance both against him if he tries to turn me into the police and if this tip on Trey didn't pan out."

"They found her." He helps me into the car. My hands shake so much he has to hook my seat belt.

"I know, baby. I heard."

We get back to the house and he fixes me a sandwich that I can't eat and some canned soup that I try to sip. He finishes everything and washes the dishes, puts on the coffee. I try to help and he sends me to lie down on the sofa. Then he joins me, gathering me up in his arms.

"You should go upstairs and get some sleep," I tell him.

"Hmm. Like you are going to get some sleep?"

"I can't. I won't be able to sleep."

He kisses my forehead and holds me to his chest. "Then I won't get any sleep, either. We'll stay up and wait for the call together."

What seems like only a few minutes later, he's rubbing my shoulder. "Wake up, Jordan. We need to go."

"Go? Where?" I sit up.

I remember. I uncurl from the ball I've made of myself, not sure if I'm going to vomit or not. "They have her at the station?"

"It's time," he says. "Hey, you can do this."

"I can't. What if she rejects me? What if she hates me? I'm not strong enough."

"I am, Jordan," he says. His voice warms me. "I'm strong enough so you don't have to be. Come on."

He gets me to the door when I realize what was missing from the picture of Emma. "Wait!"

*** This is it - has Emma really been found? Hit the star! ***