Ch. 32 Home

*Cole

Jordan doesn't move the entire drive to the station. I focus on the drive, watching the sun peek over the hills. The pre-dawn light is pale purple and the streets are empty. I'm not sure she's even breathing she's so quiet.

I reach over to reassure her, making her jump in her seat.

"It's all right," I say, repeating myself.

She nods, mind elsewhere. I try to imagine what she's feeling, but I know I come up short. I can't begin to understand. What does it feel like to have your child taken from you? The question turns my stomach.

The station comes into sight and she stiffens, eyes boring into the low, brick building as if she can see through it. The second I park the car, she jumps to the parking lot and rushes to the front door. I have to hustle to keep up.

I lied to her earlier, about being strong for her.

I could never be as strong as she is. All her love and the beautiful light she carries within her is shining, bursting out. I could be blinded in that instant.

She throws open the door and races inside, and I'm hard pressed to keep up. The officer is there, the same one I saw talking to her earlier. He says something and motions.

Jordan freezes. I slowly wend between a couple of desks and I see her. My heart aches and there is a snapping in my chest. I'm changed. That one second changes me forever.

There is no doubt whose daughter this child is. Jordan goes to her knees to be at eye level with Emma.

The office is dead silent.

"Hi," Jordan says. "I bet I know your name. Can I guess?"

The girl doesn't say anything, but after a moment nods furtively.

"I bet it's...Ezmerelda."

Emma giggles, and whispers a breathy, "No."

"Hmm. I was sure that was it. Wait, can I guess again? I should get three tries, don't you think?" Jordan asks. I can see the energy and tension in her body. She wants to grab her daughter and squeeze her and love her, but she's doing what her daughter needs. Reconnecting the dots.

"I can? All right. Is it...Electra?"

"No," Emma says, a bigger smile on her face. She says no with her whole body.

"Dang nabbit. But I'm sure it starts with an 'e' because..." she pauses and pulls out a fluffy, beige teddy-bear. Emma's eyes immediately widen. She wants the bear. "Bear-Bear told me so. What's that, Bear-Bear? Ah-ha. Is your name...Emma?"

"Yes."

"Would you like to hold Bear-Bear?"

She nods and stretches out her chubby arms to take the toy. Jordan brushes her hand on Emma's.

"Do you know who I am, Emma?" Jordan asks.

"No."

Jordan accepts this, taking a deep breath. "I'm your mommy. Would you like me to take you home and be your mommy forever?"

The silence drums in my ears. No one is moving. I'm holding my breath, fists clenched behind my back. Jordan leans forward.

Emma hesitates, unsure for a heartbeat. Then she throws one arm around Jordan's neck and buries her little face in her chest. Emma's golden brown hair mixes with Jordan's dark waves and they are hidden in a moment of pure love.

The office comes back to life, as the officers on duty hug each other and give high-fives. It isn't every day a child comes home safe and sound to her parent, and a case that was cold for three years has been solved. People ebb and flow, voices and laughter rise and fall, and day outside brightens to dawn.

And Jordan stands up with Emma in her arms, the big teddy-bear hanging off to the side. I step over and right him, so he's snuggled against Emma again.

She squeezes him tight and stares up at me with the biggest eyes I've ever seen.

"Emma, this is Cole, my very good friend," Jordan says.

I bow like a prince, ignoring the nagging voice that wants to be more than her friend. One thing at a time.

"Hi, Co," Emma says in a baby voice. She reaches out to me and suddenly I don't know what to do. This small person wants me, but I have no idea why.

"She wants you to carry her, and so do I," Jordan says. "She's a big girl. She's going to need a big man around to help out."

I take Emma and settle her against my hip. She's warm and soft and my heart swells holding her. And for the second time in a few minutes she changes me. I know instantly, that I would die to protect this child. I would do anything to keep my ladies safe.

Jordan pats my chest. "I'll come back later, there's a mountain of paperwork I have to go over and information to look at. But they said we could go for now."

"Then let's go home."

She smiles at me. Then stands on tiptoes to kiss my cheek. "Yeah. Let's go home. The three of us."

*** Jordan has Emma again, and Cole at her side, who is absolutely smitten with little Emma, too! ***