Chapter 7

- Flora -

The scent of roses hung heavy in the air as Flora dusted the already spotless surfaces in Aideen's room. In truth, Flora knew she should be washing Aideen's bloody clothes from the previous night or delivering the letters Aideen had sealed earlier that morning. She knew better, and still, could not convince herself to leave the room. She awaited eagerly for her mistress to return from the trial, for she had no doubt that Aideen would have a lot to say.

Flora had been Aideen's maid for less than a year and already knew she would never give up the job. It was the best a lady of her status could ask for. Excellent pay, a room in the castle, and most importantly, was the first to hear all the latest talk. For example, most people did not yet know that Callisto had finally been found and brought home. It would be announced later in the day, but Flora felt special knowing that information before others did.

The sound of footsteps could be heard, and Flora made sure to busy herself with the non-existent dusting. She'd started to learn how those echoing footsteps mirrored Aideen's mood and Flora could often guess her temperament before she entered the room. These footsteps were harsh, fast paced, and not as smooth as they usually were. Aideen was angry, and this was only confirmed when the door was thrown open.

"My lady, how was the trial?" Flora asked sweetly, excited to hear all of the news.

"It was ridiculous to say the least." Aideen flung herself into the chair Flora stood beside and lifted the dark, delicate crown from her thick dark curls. Flora didn't say anything – not yet – but started to undo the small braids that held back the front sections of her hair. "That man should be hanged in celebration of Callisto's return. But no, Silas saw him as another charity case and couldn't bare to see him die."

"So, he got off then? The assassin is being set free?" It was an unexpected turn of events to say the least. Attempting to kill the King was the worst type of treason to commit, and it was worse that the man had done it on behalf of the Ardere. The dirty group of rats that sought to disrupt the peace in the kingdom.

"Not exactly, he's being taken to work in the Orran mines for the rest of his life."

"The mountain mines? So close to the battle?" Flora's hands stilled where they were tangled in Aideen's hair. She suspected the mountains would soon be taken over by the kingdom of Kozia unless the King decided to pick up his sword and do something about it.

"Yes, those ones. One might say that punishment is worse than death. Theon sent the seven of us to work there for a month when I was fourteen. He said it built character and a strong mind. I think different. The endless hours of darkness and blistering hands is nothing short of torture." Aideen spun in her chair to face Flora, the anger in her dark eyes softening slightly.

"But you still think he should've been hanged?"

"I do."

"Why?"

"It sends a better message."

"I see." Flora nodded and Aideen turned forward again, staring at herself in the mirror she faced.

"No one cares if a man is shipped off to work in some mine. If he's out of sight he's out of mind and no one learns anything. They'll just do it again and again. Theon isn't going about this right, but of course he won't listen to me."

"You did kill the other assassin? Didn't you? That surely sent a message." Flora pointed out, remembering everything Aideen had told her the night the King almost died. The commotion in the castle had risen Flora and she'd rushed to check on her mistress. Aideen, however, had not been there. Flora had fallen asleep in the very chair Aideen sat in now, only to be prodded awake hours later by hands covered in dried blood.