Chapter Twenty-Nine

Maxim POV:

It took a lot for me to finally arrive home. I'm sweaty, tired, and in need of a good meal, but I have to see my wife and baby. I just need to know they're okay.

Unlocking the front door, I disable the security system and walk inside. The first thing I hear are cartoons on the television in the living room. Heading that way, I spot Anya on the couch with Aria doing tummy time on the floor.

The sound of my footsteps catches Anya's attention. She turns around and jumps off the couch, rushing into my arms. I kiss the top of her head and squeeze her tight. "I missed you so much." I whisper, my voice muffled by Anya's hair.

She squeezes me harder in response and says, "I missed you too."

Our little moment of peace is broken by my peanuts giggles. Her eyes are glued to the television screen, drool running down her chin and down onto the neckline of the onesie she's wearing.

A cartoon I've never seen is playing. It has brightly colored characters and annoying children's music. I can see why Aria is loving it.

Breaking from the hug, I walk forward to grab my little girl. She squeals excitedly when she sees me and kicks her legs. "There's Dada's girl! Can you say Dada?" I prod as I place multiple kisses on her chubby, rosy cheek.

"Da da da!" Aria squeals, shocking the hell out of me. An overwhelming sense of pride hits me at being my baby's first word. At almost five months old, my baby spoke for the first time.

"Are you fucking shitting me!?" Anya screeches. "I carried her for nine months, pushed her out of my own vagina, and continue to nurse her, all for her to say your name first."

I'm really trying to hold in my laughter, but I can't. I laugh so loud that it startles Aria. She jumps in my arms, turns her head to stare at me with wide eyes, then bursts into tears. Oh lord. That's not something I missed.

There's just something about a shrill cry of an infant that rides on everybody's nerves.

"It's not funny, Maxim." Anya complains, crossing her arms over her chest. She gets this look like she's thinking, then trots over to me. When she's standing right in front of Aria and I, she asks the baby, "Can you say 'Mama?' Come on. It isn't that hard. Ma ma."

All Aria does is giggle. There's no attempt from the tiny human to say mama. She just bounces in my arms with a big, slobbery smile.

"Wow. That is the epitome of disrespectful." My wife scoffs and turns on her heel, plopping back down on the couch. I follow suit and Aria focuses back on the cartoons.

"After Aria's in bed tonight, we're going to talk about what went on the night I left. I still haven't forgot about that."

Truthfully, I have a bone to pick with her too. How could she just up and leave the country with our daughter? Yes, I know that I could've gone with her, but she should've just given it time. I can see where she's coming from, but taking my infant daughter back home by herself was the wrong move to make.

Keeping that in mind, all I say is, "Okay, Anya."

We sit in silence for a little while, Aria content to snuggle on my chest. I would never tell Anya this, but I'm pretty sure our daughter is a Daddy's girl. She always rolls her eyes, cries, screams, and throws tiny fits whenever it's just her and Anya together.

With me, she's a perfect angel. I love it when she's quiet and content like this. As much as I want to stay down here with my wife and child, I do need a shower, though. Regretfully, I hand Aria back over to her mom and stand saying, "I need to go get in a shower. I'll be right back down."