Act 1, Scene 9

"That I, I can make a change." Change, Steven Universe: The Movie

Wilbur, you know I can't help you. I'll supply you obsidian, sure, but I can't give you tools or tnt. You signed to Wilbur, not even glancing at him as you stared at your flowers.

"I know that, but I just want to keep you company. I don't need obsidian today, but thank you." Wilbur said honestly as he sat next to the goddess.

It didn't feel right to Wilbur, how a goddess was hiding amongst all this chaos and war, you never moved much other than the first time he spotted you.

When he first spoke, the chains pulled you back, causing you to run back to the hidden cave, deep inside where you built your palace. You sat at the garden you created, old memories of your friend replaying in your mind.

"I'm sorry, did I scare you?" Wilbur had followed you back to your cave and days after the first meeting, he had kept coming back, having a one-sided conversation of everything that was happening above the surface to you until one day, you signed back to him.

Wilbur, not knowing sign language, used that as an excuse to visit you more often in order for him to learn and have proper conversations with you.

But today, he seemed... different. On edge.

He was fidgety, his fingers kept clenching and relaxing, and eventually, you had enough of watching him struggle with his own mind and pushed his head into your lap, causing him to lie down as you combed through his hair.

It surprised him quite a bit, and he looked into your eyes that were focused on his hair, though he knew that you could tell something was up.

"I'm... I'm not a good person."

You immediately nodded to that and Wilbur couldn't help but laugh. "I thought you were my best friend!"

You paused from combing his hair, Yeah, but you weren't lying. What was I supposed to do? Disagree?

Inside your mind though, you celebrated in getting Wilbur to relax a bit as he calmed down from his laughter.

"I'm going to blow up L'manberg. It isn't mine anymore, so I don't want it to be anyone else's."

He watched as you began to comb through his messy locks once again, though he knew he had your full attention.

"...Would you hate me if I did? Cause like- I'm not the same person anymore- I don't want you to be anyone else's best friend other than me but I can't blow you up because that's just- that's just-"

You flicked his forehead lightly to get him to stop rambling and looked deep into his eyes.

You can be rest assured I don't want any other best friend other than you, the Wilbur who's going to blow up L'manberg or not, or the Wilbur I first met. You're still just Wilbur. So if you decide to blow up L'manberg that's your choice. Although I can't really hate you because L'manberg doesn't really have any meaning to me, but you do.

It was silent as you stared at each other until Wilbur opened his mouth again.

"So if I died?"

...

I watched you die once before, many, many years ago, and you came back to me. So whatever version of you that is willing to come back to me, I'll take it. Even if that's selfish of me.