Chapter 6: Snow

"But what if he doesn't like me?!" I bantered, pacing in Rapunzel's room.
"What do you mean? You said he kissed you on the cheek while blushing, that's a pretty big sign right there." Rapunzel said, painting on her canvas.
"Yeah I know, but I forgot to take my potion that day...and today too I think- but that's not the point! What if my feelings were affecting his because he felt mine? What if it's not real?!" I overthought.
"It's been a few weeks Y/n, ever since then, he's been acting all jittery and clumsy when he's around you. I think you guys are gonna be just fine." Rapunzel smiled, finishing her painting.
Rapunzel shows the painting to me and I smile. It was a picture of Varian and I dancing in a ball room, it was very pretty.
"I guess you're right." I sighed, sitting on Rapunzel's bed.
"I'm always right." Rapunzel smiled.

~The Next Morning~

"Your mother and I are going on a trip, while we're gone, you'll be in charge." Frederic said.
It was breakfast, I was tired, I was hungry, and I was confused.
"Me? In charge? So soon?!" Rapunzel panicked.
"It'll be alright, you have me, Eugene, and Cass! Remember?" I added, squeezing Rapunzel's hand.
"We trust you Rapunzel, we know that whatever decisions you make, you will make them for the greater good of the Kingdom." Arianna said, picking up her empty plate and placing it on the cart.
"Besides, it's just one day. What could happen?" I said, ending the conversation.
Arianna pats my head affectionately and heads to her room to pack, Frederic and Rapunzel talk amongst themselves as I start making my way out of the dining room.
"I'm going to see Varian, I'll see you guys later!" I waved.
Putting in my shoes, I head out the door and make my way over to Old Corona.
It took awhile, but after a few trips I was able to mark a route that was the safest and easiest way to Varian's house.
By the time I got there though, I gasped.
The black rocks were everywhere. And I thought Corona's rocks were plentiful, but these rocks took up half of the village.
I look at Varian's house only to see rocks growing from it.
"Yikes." I mumbled, letting myself in.
I walk downstairs to Varian's lab and see a big rock bulged through the floor.
Varian was mumbling to himself as he poured different liquids into one singular mixture.
"Varian?" I asked, putting my hand on his shoulder.
Varian yelped, dropping his mixture onto the ground. It started steaming and seared into the surface.
"Oh, hey Y/n. What brings you here?" Varian asked, picking up the small pieces of glass from the broken beaker and disposing them.
"I thought I could help-, especially now that you have a big rock bulging out of your floor. How did this even happen?" I asked, tapping on the black rock.
"Oh you know, the rocks don't really care what they destroy. I still haven't figured out their chemical makeup yet...Aw well, I'm sure I'll figure it out soon." Varian shrugged, going back to his experiment.
"Ok...., do you need any help?" I asked, looking over his shoulder.
"Oh there's no need, I've almost cracked it-," Varian stopped, turning his side only to face me. I was looking in close to see the research he had gotten, but he apparently didn't realize that. We mine as well have been touching noses.
"W-well! Since there's nothing you can really do to help. Help y-yourself upstairs! I made cinnamon rolls earlier!" Varian said fast, abruptly turning his head and focusing on his work.
I was surprised, but also stifling a giggle.
"Cute." I thought to myself.
"Ok then, I'll grab a cinnamon roll and go. But I won't be back for awhile, I need to help Rapunzel with her Queenly duties while her parents are away. But I'll always be there for you if you ever need me!" I shrugged dramatically, spinning around and heading for the door.
I headed upstairs and grabbed a roll off of the counter, humming in delight when I bit into the treat.
"That's good, he has a gift." I thought to myself, already planning days where Varian could teach me to bake.
I walked all the way back home, not minding the walk.
Despite the cold, I actually didn't mind it.
It felt nice, refreshing almost.
I wondered how summer was gonna feel if winter felt this nice.
I hugged the light sweater around me as a breeze flew by. Ok, maybe it wasn't that nice.
Suddenly, a white dot fell on me.
Then another did, then a multitude of white dots rained on me.
It felt cold, but it melted as it touched my warm hands.
As I looked around me, the dots coated the trees, the ground, everything around me. Despite my breath coming out foggy and my body feeling numb, the world suddenly looked a little bit prettier.
"Wow." I breathed.
Corona just gets more and more beautiful, It felt nice to be alive.
After realizing how numb I felt, I walked faster towards the castle, running inside and feeling even colder as soon as the heat hit me.
"Y/n! Are you ok? I'd forgotten you've never experienced snow. Do you feel fine?" Rapunzel said, examining my face.
"I feel cold, but it was so pretty! It's snow right?" I said, delighted.
"Yes, snow." Rapunzel said, happy at my positive reaction.
"Did Frederic and Arianna already leave?" I asked, looking for them.
"Yes they did, the snow started falling and they wanted to leave before it got worse. I've been Queen for a few hours and so far so good." Rapunzel said, smiling victoriously.
"I'm proud of you, where's everybody else?" I asked.
"Playing in the snow, apparently it hasn't snowed in Corona in forever." Rapunzel replied, tightening the coat around her.
After chatting with Rapunzel, she convinced me to put on some warmer clothes and a coat. She explained that it'd only get colder, and I didn't feel like feeling numb again.

~Y/n's Room~

I was upstairs, reading in front of the small fireplace in my room.
I felt peaceful, but something inside of my heart told me that something was happening.
My heart's heartbeat was soft and slow but that didn't erase the anxiety rising into my chest.
It was powerful, a very powerful feeling of anxiety. Like a breeze swirling around me, it was only growing stronger.
Was this my new power awakening?
I place my hand on my chest, rubbing the skin covering my heart. I placed my book down, listening intently.
There was the cackle of the fire, the chatter coming from downstairs, but I could feel something else.
I laid down and placed my ear to the floor, I could feel the anxiety throbbing downstairs.
Then I heard a voice, a very panicked voice.
"My dad's in danger, you have to help, please!"
"Varian." I whispered.
I jumped up, racing out the door.
I sprinted as fast as my weak legs would go, whatever Varian came here for was serious, and I said I'd always be there whenever he needed me. I was not about to lie.

"YOU PROMISED! YOU PROMISED!" I heard Varian shout when I finally made it to where everyone was gathered.
"Varian!" I shouted, running after him.
Two guards held me back as I continued to shout his name. I wrangled out of their arms, fuming.
"Why did you make them send him away?!" I shouted at Rapunzel.
Rapunzel's eyes darkened, I'd forgotten to take my potion again.
This was starting to become a habit.
"He asked me to drop everything and help him save his dad. What was I supposed to do? Let the whole kingdom suffer just to help his dad? That's irrational, that's impulsive." Rapunzel snapped.
As soon as she snapped, her eyes lightened again, except they were filled with regret.
My jaw dropped.
"Rapunzel..." I whispered, slowly backing away.
"No, wait- I'm sorry-." Rapunzel started but I was already out the door.
The snow was coming in ginormous winds, I didn't like the snow very much anymore.
I shouted, "VARIAN!" But it was no use, he was already gone and my voice was lost in this blizzard.
I wouldn't stop screaming his name, I wasn't going to break my word, I wasn't gonna break MY promise.
I could still feel his anxiety, but it was so faint and dull. He was getting away, but I was not going to let him go far.
I followed the pulse, picking up my feet and running in a more skip kind of way with the snow starting to pile high.
I could feel my vision blurring, how long had I been out here?
I shake my head, trying to get the dizziness out, but it was no use.
I shouted one last time, my knees giving out.
Then I saw nothing at all.

Oooooo scary~ Lol-
Thank you for reading!
Please let me know if I made any mistakes!
Have a blessed day/morning/night!<3