Nablai's Nebula

The arrival of June has made us start anew. With this issue, we expand our reach to horizons unbreached; we push and stretch to our highest potential. This month's sub-genre is something diverse and explorative--don't I always say that. But seriously, I had a lot of fun and enjoyed traversing this vast expanse of a genre hitherto undelved by me. Join me as we dive into the new frontier sub-genre.

The New Frontier is also known as The Space Frontier. The term is technically defined by "open frontiers of physics in the limit of knowledge or the most advanced achievement in a particular field combined with the frontiers of space exploration in an outer limit in a field of endeavours, especially one in which the opportunities for research and development have not been used to their maximum potential."

According to NASA, The New Frontier is defined as a series of space exploration missions being conducted by NASA with the purpose of furthering the understanding of the Solar System and integrates the funding of medium cost missions with a high percentage of returns.

The New Frontier phrase was used by John F. Kennedy in 1960 during the speech to describe his aims and policies, in which he also accepted his nomination as the Democratic Party's candidate for President. At the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum, he said that the US was on 'the edge of a new frontier' and asked Americans to join together for new achievements in space, science, education and social conditions.

In his coining of this term, JFK gave wings to "Those who dare to fail miserably can achieve greatly."

Greatness. And it never ever comes easy.

This sub-genre also reminds me of Captain Kirk's famous opening monologue for the TV show Star Trek referred to "Space, the Final Frontier."

With due respect to Star Trek, the space frontier isn't the final frontier as science continues relentlessly to search and pursue new missions across and beyond our vast solar system.

Increasing collaborations amongst the synthetic biology, nanotechnology and data analysis have enabled technologies that'll set milestones in developing these projects further

Increasing collaborations amongst the synthetic biology, nanotechnology and data analysis have enabled technologies that'll set milestones in developing these projects further. Commitment to the principles in investigating The New Frontiers is key to excellence of these missions.

In 2005, the then NASA Administrator Michael Griffin had recognized space frontiers as the best goal of current spaceflight programs

In 2005, the then NASA Administrator Michael Griffin had recognized space frontiers as the best goal of current spaceflight programs. He was something like "the goal wasn't just scientific exploration, but also about extending the range of human habitat out from Earth into the solar systems as humans go forward in time. A single-planet species will not survive in the long run and if humans really want to survive for hundreds of thousands of millions of years then, we must eventually populate other planets. Given today's technology, this concept is barely seems comprehensible. We are still in infant stages. One day--whenever that day is. there will be more human beings who live off the Earth than on it. There might be people living on the Moon or inhabiting on the moons of Jupiter and many other planets. You never know... people probably could make habitats on asteroids. I know that humans will colonize the solar system and one day go beyond."

The New Frontier has the capacity to unite the world under the belief that science has the capability to improve the life of every human on this planet. This initiative would be one of the best backings for lives across the world. Which in turn, could considerably amp up the public trust in science and counter any misinformation spread.

So, what do you think? Any thoughts or theories? Drop them in the inlines here 😄

Here are some New Frontier recommendations on Wattpad:

1. The Division: New Frontier by TheGhostlyNerd

2. Capricious - Lightning Sprite Book One by MelissaPrys

3. Spaced Out by EnvyAugustine

4. Vector's Treasure Hunt by ArbinGordon

Here are the published books for you to enjoy:

Star Trek: New Frontier is a series of 25 interlinked novels written by Peter Allen David, published by Simon & Schuster imprints, Pocket Books, Pocket Star, and Gallery Books, from 1997 to 2015. New Frontier was the first Star Trek tie-in fiction property not to be based on a television series. The series was created by John J. Ordover.

Be sure to drop your favourite Space Frontier/New Frontier stories in the inline comments! 😄

And we have reached the end. My research led me into a lot of rabbit-holes that stoked the fire of knowledge in this amazingly vast sub-genre.

Till we meet again in July, this is me, Nab saying goodbye. Stay safe and take care ❤️

Nablai