Chapter 7: Choose

"Y/n.....y/n..."
A faded voice spoke.
My head was pounding, how long had I been out?
"Y/n...." The voice tried again.
I groaned as I opened my eyes.
I saw Varian only it wasn't really him.
He looked darker, more- sinister? I started getting bad vibes from him.
His anxiety pulse was lowered, but I could feel a new feeling arising from him.
Anger?
"Varian?" I asked, my eyes squinting from the pain in my head.
"Thank goodness! Are you ok? You're lucky I heard your voice last minute, you could have died! Why did you come for me?" Varian asked, sitting next to me on what seemed to be his bed.
"I wasn't going to break my word, I said I'd be there for you if you ever needed me. I practically promised." I explained, placing my hand on his.
"At least one of you kept your word." He mumbled.
"Come again?" I asked.
"Nothing, I made you some soup and I got you a glass of water. It's still very cold outside but the snow stopped. When you feel better there's something I have to show you." Varian said, getting up.
I could still feel his anger but it was dimmer now, I still didn't like how he was feeling and I wanted to make him feel better.
"Varian-," I started, grabbing his hand again.
Varian looked back, his face almost numb looking. It made me shiver and not from the cold.
"Please, stay? Just for a minute longer." I asked, squeezing his hand.
Varian's eyes widened a moment before softening.
I started seeing my Varian return.
"Ok." He replied, laying down beside me.
Varian took a deep sigh as he settled his head onto his pillow.
I shifted my body towards him, his eyes were closed but mine were glued to his face.
What was troubling him and why wasn't he telling me?
"Varian," I whispered, cupping his cheek with my hand and shifting his face to look at mine.
"I can feel your anger, what's troubling you?" I asked, my voice gentle.
Varian's eyes gave away that I was right, he held my hand to his cheek with his hand and chuckled.
"Your powers are growing strong, when this is all over I'm gonna need to make a bigger dose." Varian replied.
"When what's over?" I asked, my concern growing.
"You really didn't hear all of it, did you? Follow me." Varian replied, getting up.
I followed behind him as we made our way to his lab.
I shivered as the temperature dropped, I really didn't like the cold any more.
Varian's lab looked the same, only this time, there was a huge blanket covering the black rock.
"Did-did you uncover the mystery of the rocks?" I asked, my body suddenly alert to my surroundings.
"No." Was all Varian said.
He yanked the blanket away, revealing Quirin trapped in this Amber like crystal.
I gasped, stifling a scream.
"Wha-what happened? How did this happen?!" I gasped, walking towards the Amber and touching the crystal covering Quirin's face.
"Science experiment gone wrong...I-I asked! I asked Rapunzel for help but- she betrayed me! All of them did!" Varian said, his teeth grinding with all of his anger. I could feel his anger rising, I was starting to feel invasive now knowing what everybody was feeling when their emotions were strong. But this was important, Varian was important.
I looked over to where Varian was standing. His head was down, hair covering his face, his fists clenched.
I could hear a whimper coming from Ruddiger who was hiding underneath the lab table, he must've felt scared too.
I grabbed Ruddiger, carrying him in my arms as I made my way over to Varian.
"Varian, no," I spoke softly, looking up at him.
"It's nobody's fault. Rapunzel was just stressed! She didn't have time to think. And you were panicked! Rapunzel was your safe person and it's natural to feel betrayed when your safe person can't help you when you need them to." I explained, trying to find Varian's face which was hidden behind his bangs.
He didn't stir, he didn't move, his anger wasn't growing any calmer. I tried again.
"I'm your safe person too Var, I may not know how to free Quirin, but we can figure it out together!" I said, setting Ruddiger down and placing my hand on Varian's shoulder.
"I promise." I assured.
That was my first mistake.
"Rapunzel promised too you know, she broke that promise." Varian said, gently taking my hand off of his shoulder.
"Varian-."
"How can I trust you now? For all I know, you're using your powers to make me feel guilt and remorse. Make me feel like everything is alright even though it's not." Varian snapped.
"No- no Varian, I'd never do that-."
Varian held a hand up, slightly pushing me away in doing so.
"Everybody, everybody turned their backs on me. Rapunzel betrayed me, she's not sorry either. I don't want to feel as if you've betrayed me. So what's it gonna be? Me? Or her?" Varian seethed as he said Rapunzel's name.
I was in shock, five minutes ago, he seemed perfectly fine! Five minutes ago, there was still some Varian in him, but now...I don't know who this guy is.
"Varian, I'm not gonna choose between my best friend and my sister. You both mean the world to me. We can figure this out together! Everything's gonna be alright!" I tried to assure, gripping both of Varian's hands into mine.
That was my second mistake.
"Hah...she said that too." Varian said, darkly.
"Varian..."
Varian ripped his hands away from mine, it was as if he was disgusted he ever even touched me in the first place.
"I think you should go, I need to clear my head." Varian said, turning around and facing his desk.
I was near tears, I knew he felt my pain too.
"Ok." My voice cracked as I spoke.
I turned around and tried to stand tall as I walked out.
I stopped at the door, my hands barely grazing over its wood.
"I'm always here if you need me." I whispered, walking away.
I could feel Varian's eyes briefly looking back on me as I disappeared down the hall and up the stairs.
I ran back home, I didn't care that my legs were on fire, I didn't care that my lungs felt like they were about to burst, I didn't care that my heart was breaking and I could feel the bits of stone that was my heart breaking off.
I ran past the guards, I ran past Arianna and Frederic who came home I didn't even know when. I ran past Cassandra, Rapunzel and Eugene who were laughing and chattering away.
I ran all the way until I reached my room, I slammed my door shut and planted my face into my pillow, crying until my eyes couldn't bare more tears.

~Later That Night~

"Y/n?" Rapunzel's soft voice rang.
"Go away." I grumbled.
Rapunzel opened the door. I looked in her direction for a moment to see everybody else was there with her.
Eugene, Cassandra, Arianna, Frederic, the whole family.
"Y/n, we've been so worried. You didn't come home last night and you were gone the entire day! Where were you?" Rapunzel asked, sitting on the bed.
"I passed out in the snow looking for Varian, he took care of me until I woke up but..." I trailed off.
"But-?" Arianna chimed in, sitting beside me in the bed.
I started crying, my eyes somehow able to shed more tears as I explained what had happened.
"This is all my fault, if I hadn't snapped at you or thought more clearly of how to help the kingdom AND Varian, then none of this would have ever happened." Rapunzel said, tears evident in her eyes.
"You're human Rapunzel, everybody makes mistakes. But this boy was not my Varian, he seemed darker." I whispered the last part.
Arianna was stroking my hair, Eugene sat on the other side of me and Cassandra and Frederic were on separate sides of my bed.
We'll check on him soon, I'll start doing research on how to help Quirin, we're gonna help them Y/n. I promise." Rapunzel guaranteed.
I sat up, and looked her dead in the eye.
"You really need to stop handing out promises you know you can't keep." I said.
That seemed to hit home with Rapunzel, I could feel how bad she felt, it made me feel bad.
"Sorry, I'm still upset about Varian." I grimaced.
"We'll give you some time alone. I'm still not sure how I feel about this situation. You can visit the boy again soon though. He must be so scared right now." Frederic sympathized.
The family started filing out, each giving me a kiss on the forehead goodnight. Everybody left but Rapunzel, who still had stuff left to say.
"I'm sorry about what I said last night, I didn't mean it. Varian means a lot to me too, I'm sorry." Rapunzel said.
"Make sure you tell Varian that too if you ever see him again before I do. I could feel his anger, it was so dark and disturbing. I'm really worried about him." I shivered, tucking the blanket further up my body.
"I will, goodnight." Rapunzel said, closing the door behind her.
I already missed Varian.

Little angsty, but who doesn't like that in fanfictions? Especially xReaders lol.
Hope you enjoyed!
Please tell me if I made any mistakes!
Have a blessed day/morning/night!<3