Chapter 9: The Cave Of Despair

After a few hours, Opal saw the mountain in front of her. As she ran joyously to touch the rock, she felt happiness and fatigue surge through her. "I finally did it!" she yelled aloud. Calming herself down, she quickly stuffed herself with a small sandwich and planned her journey up the mountain.

Tying a part of her rope into a small nook and threw up to an area particularly full of jagged rocks. At first, it didn't catch anything. Finally, on her third try, it hooked around a jagged rock that stood out at an odd angle. Opal started to climb, nervous but determined. She climbed higher and higher, knowing the significant risks she posed until she needed to throw the rope again. Halfway through the mountain, it was a risky position, because when she released the rope, it could cause her to plummet straight to her death. She carefully clambered onto the rope and jumped on the rock. However, the rock was coated with moss, so she slipped sideways. "AHHHHH!!!!" she screamed. She tumbled backwards and hit her head hard. Everything went black.

She found herself in a strange, gloomy cave when she woke up. Pale glow leaked from the walls. It was the cave the Witch had described to Opal. She looked around and rubbed her eyes to make sure that she wasn't dreaming, not believing her luck. However, Opal gradually pulled herself up, stumbling as she balanced onto her feet. Opal suddenly heard heavy footsteps coming towards her, and started to shiver with fear. She wasn't alone! Someone tapped her from behind. It was a middle aged man, with light, fair skin and silvery-blond hair, but more silver than blond. As the man faced Opal, Opal gasped. "Father?" She gasped, struggling to keep the excitement out of her voice. Kai smiled. "Yes, Opal. Oh, how much I missed you!" Opal couldn't resist any longer. Rushing over, she wrapped her arms around her father's waist. As Opal talked about her journey over the past few days, her father's gaze clouded at the sight of the mark. "Stop." he interrupted Opal. "How on earth did you get yourself mixed with a death mark?" he grimaced. Opal looked down at her feet and began repeating the bargain she had made with the Witch. As Kai listened intently, he solemnly nodded. "Yes, I supposed you did the right thing, out of all the choices you were able to make." He stood up, pulling Opal up with him. "I know a good place where you can find Black Crystals." Following her dad, she felt better than she ever did on the whole journey.