Third Mission: KILLJOY

To say that Killjoy — Klara — is mildly interested in you and your abilities is the understatement of the century.

She is absolutely enamoured, and the German inventor could not resist her growing curiosity. After all, it is not everyday that she finds someone as talented as her in a dangerous field of work such as being an agent. She knows how valuable you have become in the agency, and she intends to find out more about you for the sake of her curiosity.

Klara is happy to find out that you have been getting along with your new environment. As homesick as she rarely feels, she could not help but feel a tinge of sympathy over your small moments of longing for your apartment (a dainty one, might she add). She would catch you spacing out sometimes, only for you to shrug it off and say, "There's not really anyone for me to go home to, so it doesn't matter." For whatever reason, that declaration unknowingly pulled some of her heart strings, and she hated it. Why was she feeling this way?

Killjoy decides that she will make it her own personal mission to distract you from homesickness. Nothing more, nothing less. Right?

"You're going to what?"

Her eyes unfix themselves from her screen and look up at Brimstone, who is leaning against the wall.

"Ja? I-I'm making it my personal mission to distract our n-newest cadet from feeling homesick."

Brimstone squints his eyes skeptically at his protégé, who's blushing under his gaze. Truth be told, this is his first time seeing Killjoy — no, at this moment, this is Klara — so interested in something... or rather, someone else other than her bots. It is certainly a change of scenery, that he is sure of. He does not know how Klara acts in situations like... these... but he knows it would entertain him. Even better with the fact that the Killjoy, his protégé, stuttered. He would most likely tease her for this in the future.

He chuckles at the thought and pats her back, "You do you, kid."

With that, he leaves his post, waving to Killjoy as he exits the room. Unknowing of her reaction, Klara shivers a bit from her seat, exhaling her breath that she subconsciously held while her mentor was in the room. The thought of U/N... making her giddy like this...

"What is going on?" She asks no one in particular.

A question is left unanswered in the air as Klara returns her attention to her bots, shaking her head from the thoughts that you once occupied.

-

You secure your hair into a knot as you approach Killjoy's lab, who had unknowingly cut your chat with Omen. Not that you minded, but it was certainly a progress that Omen had let himself warm up, even if a tiny bit.

You skip towards her lab, humming a jovial tune under your breath. For some reason you had remembered the way to her lab, even though you had not been told. You surprise yourself as you stand by her door, waiting for her to grant you access.

"In here!"

You excuse yourself as you welcome yourself in her lab. You look at your surroundings, and are surprised to see that her lab is mostly neat from clutter, save her workspace which is conveniently placed in the middle of the room being an optimal space for her robots.

"What's up?"

Killjoy tinkers on a robot for a second before placing her tools down, pushing up her glasses, "Ja, to think you would come in first call — no one's actually done that besides Commander. I would have to pester them first before they all reluctantly come. Save for the few that don't like me, obviously."

Your eyebrow raises at her confession, "Why not? You've got really cool stuff here, and it would be awesome to see you do your thing firsthand. It's honestly very cool that you're able to build scraps of metal like these to become menaces in the battlefield."

Killjoy watches you gush over her work as you explore her lab, noticing each little detail on her blueprints that are plastered against the wall. She watches you pause at a specific blueprint, and you could not help but do a double take. Have you seen it before?

"That's Brimstone's bracer."

She whispers in a tone that you could not pinpoint. You freeze, suddenly hyperconscious of the close proximity between you two. You can almost feel her breath fan over your cheek as your face starts feeling hot, making you gulp. Bracing yourself, you shift to look towards her. It helps that you are nearly the same height as her. Something in her eyes is dangerous, and you dare play with the fire.

"That was you?"

She smiles alluringly, "Mhm. If you look over here," She takes your hand in hers, making you gasp inwardly at how well your hand fits perfectly well in hers, and guiding your hand to what you assume is the prototype of the bracer next the blueprint, "This is the first bracer I made for the Commander. But over time I had to make him new ones to prevent them from malfunctioning. It's cool, ja?"

"You're awesome," You breathe out, your hand remaining wrapped under Killjoy's. For some reason, you don't mind.

"I'm glad you like it."

Your brain haywires at her tone — it sounded so... sultry. She sounded like a vixen and it made your head spin. It was hot.

In all honesty, Klara does not understand what force made her do what she did and is about to do, but all logic falls deaf in her ears as she brings her other hand up to brush a strand away from your face and tuck it in behind your ear. It was so delicate, like glass that is about to slip out of her grasp and break. For a minute you two pause, unspoken words linger in the air as you stare at each other. Conflict runs in both minds, but the... tension... is so thick you could cut it with a knife. You lick your lips, her eyes flickering down as if mesmerized by such a simple action, however provocative it had become.

To the heavens above, you would not have known what would happen if it stayed that way, but you were saved if it were not for a cough from the door of the lab.

"Uh, am I intruding? Max Bot broke again."

You two suddenly jump and part ways, Killjoy running up to Raze as fast as she could and ushers her out of the lab to talk about the broken bot, while you stayed and processed what had happened. Her touch still electrifies your hand as you hold it against your chest, a small smile creeping up your lips.

-

Some part of Killjoy detests Raze for breaking the tension between you and her, but at the same time she is thankful: God forbid what she would have done afterwards.

"Was that the new recruit?"

Killjoy blushes a deep crimson and murmurs a yes, making Raze raise her eyebrow in confusion and amusement. Never in her life would she have seen Killjoy out of her composure — she would have to check this new recruit out some other time. For now, however, Max Bot needs some attending to, and she shifts her focus away from Killjoy's personal life to the machine as she debriefs Killjoy.

Later that night, the events earlier in her lab stir in Klara's mind. She turns to her side, a pillow at hand and blanket tangled between her legs, as she looks at her workspace. The memory of your blushing face and her quickening pulse as she admires every little bit of the slopes and crevices of your face etched in her mind. She buries her face in her pillow, silently screaming when she brushes a stray strand of hair from your face to further study you. The moonlight shines down from her window, perfectly aimed at her hand. She studies it, and remembers the feeling of your soft hand engulfed in hers. Her hand is not any bigger than hers, but it sure did fit quite snuggly.

She may not have completed her mission, but if anything, that means spending more time with you.

Something in Killjoy's heart makes her uncomfortable — in a good way. She smiles, welcoming this newfound feeling.