Spies in the Ballroom - Duke!Chamberxspy!reader (Part one)

Fanart: @Angryoats on twitter

"A masquerade ball? How cliche." You whispered as you tugged your dress up the staircase.

The Kingdom was throwing a major celebration for the newly renowned Queen Thorn's coronation. Although what most aren't aware of is that the woman they call their Queen is no other than a mere spy. A spy who's main purpose was so that the crown can only be controlled and  ruled by The Valorant protocol. Her smiles and gestures are subtly practical moves. She is calculated.

You gracefully walk to the side of the ballroom. Sipping a glass of champagne as you kept your eye on each of the prominent figures there. They all looked so prim, even when they're whispering gossip as if it were the gospel they still looked ever so properly dressed for the occasion. You have to admit it though. The masks sure do make it harder for you to spot the specific people you should be keeping an eye on. That was quite smart of her.  

To think that people back at the base forcibly dressed you up into a heavy evening gown splattered with gems and diamonds. As far as you can remember, you weren't typically born into nobility so... all of this does feel quite new to you. Imagine the look on each of these noblemen and women if they figured out a mere commoner joined their party looking all dressed up like a pretty princess.

Although you did have the desire to be like this when you were younger... It doesn't matter now. What matters is the you don't need all of this to be happy in your life. All you need to do is finish your job and get information about the suspicious Queen. How foolish they are to be wandering around a place like this oblivious to the fact that the girl they call a Queen isn't born of nobility. She's one of us. That is unless she goes haywire.

But no worries. That's why the protocol sent you here didn't they? To make sure the Queen isn't being swayed into making the wrong decision.

As you walk along the rim of the room, you notice a man, about 6 foot tall, one with brown hair, firm and strong features as well as a golden lace alongside his left neck to his left forehead. Your eyes interlocked as you passed one another in the crowd filled ballroom. It was as if your eyes were magnetically attracted to his. He looked to be very arrogant though. The way he held his head high as he walked around with his chest puffed forward gave off a sort of hubristic vibe to him.

You look away as soon as he passed your vision, looking forward. Straight and back to your mission. You shouldn't get distracted. Especially not because of some mere nobleman. You straightened your poise and marched away.

But not before someone grabbed your fingers, spinning you around to face the other direction and bowed down to kiss the the center of your hand.

"Delighted to meet you mon cherie." The man said with a distinguisable french accent as he looked up to you before straightening his posture.

You were quite speechless to say. You didn't expect to be talking to to anyone during this whole sham of a ball...

"I could not help to notice how ravishing you look in that dress, as well as how your eyes-" He shortly explained right before you cut his amusing advances.

"Do you say that to every woman you meet, Lord...?" You sarcastically say as you raised an eyebrow to his antics, asking him for his name.

"Duke. Duke Vincent Fabron." He introduced himself as he let go of your hand.

So he's the one they've been talking about. The infamous playboy. Roots down from the french monarchy. Extremely loyal to The Kingdom. A well known patriot and an even better well known womanizer.

"What's wrong Mademoiselle? You look like you're observing my face quite too much I might add." He said as he let out a smalll chuckle.

"Oh-" Ah shit. Have you really been just silently staring at him while trying to remember the info you had on him? Quick! Think of something to say! "It's just the gold on you looks exquisite."

"That is true. Gold is my color." He lets out a wink as he raises his arm to you. "Care to join me for a dance?" He asked, quite confidently.

You hesitate but nonetheless you accept his offer as the both of you make your way across the ballroom. It would be unproper for you to turn down a Duke. You look up at him as he gently placed a hand on your waist.

He must know something about the Queen. From what you've heard, Kingdom and the french monarchy have close and tight bonds with one another. Not only that but the Duke and the Queen seem to be close as they were spotted having lunch multiple times during the Duke's visit in town. Some may even say that the Queen and the Duke are formidably secret lovers.

"I swear if something's on my face, you know you can just say it- unless you want to wipe it yourself?" He said as he pointed out once again how you've just been staring at him ever since the both of you have been on this dance floor.

"You're quite bold with your comments, Duke." You said as you look away from him, your composure still unhinged.

"And you don't seem to enjoy something called flirting my dear Duchess." He answered back as the both of you swayed around the dance floor.

"Where did you get the assumption that I was a Duchess?" You quickly look back at him, confused.

"Well you may not be an actual Duchess now. But you know you could always be mine if you'd like." He mentioned as a smirk appeared on his face. It looks like he's having a lot of fun teasing you isn't he? Typical for a man deemed as a womanizer.

You rolled your eyes at his failed advances. Simply choosing to ignore such comments as you knew the nature of the man you were with.

You suddenly hear broken glass behind you as you let go of Vincent's hands. Quickly looking at the commotion. It was too far, far enough that you couldn't quite see what was happening so you decide to run after the situation, leaving the Duke behind as he tried to chase you to no avail. You disappear into the crowd of noblemen and women. Never to be seen again..

That is until...