Chapter 2: Birthday Thief

The three sipped on their slurpees as they walked through the park. When they passed the fountain, Anne stopped. "Oooo, guys, wait. Perfect spot to get a picture!"

Anne pulled them in front of the fountain as Sasha scrambled to pull out her phone. She positioned it as Anne wrapped her arm around their shoulders and Marcy grabbed Anne's hand. They all smiled as Sasha snapped the picture.

"Definitely putting that on my desk," Anne announced.

"Can you send me a copy too, Sash?" Marcy asked.

"Already on it." Sasha sent the picture through their group chat. "And done. Oh, Anne, we better head to your parents so we're not late to your party."

Anne looked at her watch on her wrist. "Oh! Yeah, thanks, Sasha."

"Oh no!" Marcy gasped suddenly.

"What?" Sasha and Anne looked at their friend with concern.

"They redid the playground... it's different..." Marcy scanned it, a sad expression on her face momentarily. "We had a lot of memories there."

"Yeah, it was falling apart and the city rebuilt it a couple years ago," Anne said, sounding distant. "It's where we met Sasha."

Sasha snorted. "That was a long time ago. I barely remember it."

"Oh, but I remember it as if it were yesterday," Marcy began excitedly. She grabbed the chains to a swing and faced the other two. "Me and Anne, minding our business, and having fun on the swings. Then two older kids come and start picking on us two helpless children. Then a girl standing on a slide came running to our rescue like the hero from a book. Well, as heroic as a little kid can look."

"I mean, you kinda pulled a Marcy with all the falling you did on the way," Anne giggled as she looked at Sasha.

Sasha frowned at her and Marcy pouted. "Hey-"

"Well, it's the truth." Anne shrugged.

"Ok, we really have to head to your party now," Sasha reminded.

They began to head back to Sasha's car, walking on the sidewalk. Marcy was putting her hands in her pant pockets when someone ran bumped into her from behind. She stumbled forward, but caught herself. Her eyes caught a glimpse of her green wallet in the hands of the person who had ran into her. But she couldn't see their face because of their hood being pulled down over her eyes. She tapped her pockets to double check, and sure enough, her wallet was gone.

"Wait, hey! Get back here with that! That's mine, thief!" Marcy cried running after the hooded figure.

"Marcy, wait!" Sasha called after her. Her and Anne chased after their friend.

The thief shoved a trash can behind him, making it tip over. "Woah-" Marcy tripped over it, but somehow managed to catch herself and continue the chase. Her brows creased together with determination. She reached out and managed to grab the sleeve of their hoodie. Then the thief scurried down a bunch of the park stairs, dropping the wallet. Marcy lost her footing, rolling down the stairs. But upon seeing her wallet on the pavement of the sidewalk she landed on, she snatched it open, finding everything but her cash was still there.

"Marcy!" Anne ran over and helped her up. "What the heck, are you ok?"

"Yeah, I'm fine." She dusted herself off. "They only took twenty bucks. I don't carry much cash."

"Maybe it's not the smartest thing to chase after a thief. You don't know if they have a weapon on them," Sasha suggested. "Nothing in a wallet is worth risking your life over."

"Ugh, it would have been a pain replacing everything," Marcy retorted. "I'm fine anyways. I'll just make a report later and let it go. Hey, Anne, don't you have a party to get to?"

"Yeah, we need to head out now. Last time you were late to your party, you never arrived," Sasha said.

"Sure you're ok, Marcy?" Anne pressed.

"Pfft!" Marcy waved her hand. "C'mon, Anne! Of course I am. I've been through waaaaay worse. Takes more than a tumble and a stolen wallet to rattle me up. Plus I got it back."

Anne nodded and the three went to Sasha's car. The drive was only a couple minutes and Sasha pulled into the Boonchuy's driveway. "Home sweet home," Anne said.

"Looks the same as when I left," Marcy commented.

They walked to the front door where Anne knocked on the door. Her mom was the one to answer. "Anne! Happy birthday sweetie." She pulled her daughter into a hug.

"Hey, mom."

"Sasha."

"Mrs. Boonchuy." Sasha waved.

"And Marcy! Goodness you're a lot older now."

Marcy chuckled. "It's good to see you again."

"Dinner's ready if you three are ready to eat," Mr. Boonchuy announced from the kitchen.

"Oh, that sounds good to me," Anne said.