Chapter 2

I nervously combed through the ends of my hair, watching Kieran's eyes scan the apartment's interior.

I never invite anyone over here. In fact, no one besides my sisters and I are ever here. This isn't a place I'd want to show off. It's embarrassing.

The paint on the walls are in the color of vomit green and their chipping off the walls. There's also stains on the walls that I'm sure has to do with cigarette smoke. And the toilet clogs with even just the smallest ply of toilet paper.

"Thank you for doing this."

"It's no problem at all. I'll be right back," he said, going out the way he came.

When Kieran got here, he not only offered to pay for our rent but he also offered to speak with our landlord for us. I'm hoping that he'll be able to get a nicer, more functional living space and hopefully for a cheaper price.

When Keiran returned minutes later, he looked pissed. "Get your things. We are leaving."

"What happened?"

"I refuse to let you all stay here with that asshole," he growled, clenching his fist tightly. I stared at his hand, noticing the bruises and the dry blood stain on his knuckles. "You're going to stay with me tonight."

"You don't have to do that for us," I told him, still wondering what happened with the landlord as I continued to eye his hand.

When he caught me looking, he quickly shoved his hand into his pocket. "I'm not putting you guys in a hotel when I have plenty of room to share. Now please, just go do what I ask."

"You just expect us to go with you? You're a stranger," Olivia said, refusing to move from where she was standing. "You could be an axe murderer for all we know."

Kieran suppressed a smile. "Yes, I very well could be. But I'm not. I'm just a bodyguard, which is why I know you'll be safer with me."

"A bodyguard!?" Sadie exclaimed. "That's so cool."

"Eh, it's alright," Kieran replied with a smile.

"Who are you a bodyguard for? Is it someone famous?" Olivia asked, relaxing her shoulders and somewhat loosening up around him. She was still on edge, but not as much as she had been minutes ago.

"Not exactly. But we can save that story for another time. I have to get you guys out of here."

He seemed like he was rushing us and I wasn't sure why. He kept glancing at the door and the time on his wrist watch as if expecting someone to appear. Maybe our landlord? Who knows.

We didn't have much, so it didn't take us long to pack everything we needed. Between the three of us, we were able to fill up two suitcases.

"Who the hell do you think you are!?" A familiar voice shouted, bursting through the door of our apartment.

Sadie and Olivia screamed, backing themselves up into a corner. Our landlord was covered in blood and bruises as he staggered towards us.

Kieran stood in front of us, blocking our landlord from getting any closer. "Stay behind me," he ordered, his eyes trained to our landlord.

"How dare you put your hands on me. I'll call the fucking police!" He spit, the pudgy large man scratching at his belly button.

I never liked our landlord. He's always covered in mystery stains and he smells like liquor all the time. He's made passes at me on several occasions, which has made me cautious around him. I never let my sisters go anywhere near him.

"Go ahead," Kieran snapped back. "And tell them all about how you like to jerk off to pictures of little girls on your computer while you're at it."

"W-What?" I questioned, suddenly noticing all the times he's looked at my sisters. He'd always lick his lips and adjust himself around them. I never noticed before. Why hadn't I noticed before?

"W-Were there any pictures of my sisters?" I asked, beginning to feel sick to my stomach.

He pulled his keys out from his pocket and tossed them to me. "Go wait in the car. Now!" He barked, causing me to flinch.

Grabbing my suitcases and my sisters, we hurried out of the apartment and to his car. After putting our bags in the trunk, I closed the door and looked through the window.

"Stay here. And don't open the door for anyone."

Sadie nodded, while Olivia frowned. "Where are you going?"

"Do not get out of the car. I'll be back."

Running back inside, I screamed when found Kieran and my landlord fighting. They were swinging at each other, my furniture either torn or broken as they threw each other around the tiny space.

"What the hell are you doing back here, Elle!?"

The burly man tackled Kieran to the floor just as he pulled out his gun. My eyes grew wide at the sight of the polished black weapon.

The gun was knocked out of his hand, the weapon sliding across the room and out of reach.

"Kieran!" I cried when my landlord started to choke him.

Eyeing the gun, I sprinted towards the gun and picked it up. "Let him go right now!" I screamed, trembling as I aimed the gun at my landlord.

He whipped his head in my direction, hearing me threaten him with Kieran's gun. He howled with laughter, flashing me with his rotten, yellow teeth. Or at least with what few he had left.

I tightened my hold on the gun, noticing how purple Kieran face has gotten He's killing him.

"I'm not going to ask you again." I was scared out of my mind, but managed to hide it well.

"You don't have the ba-"

I pulled the trigger and the gun went off. The bullet struck him in his shoulder and he wailed, releasing his hold on Kieran's neck.

"You bitch!" He yelled, spit flying out of his mouth. "I'll fucking kill you!"

Stumbling back onto his feet, he lunged. I screamed, leaping out of the way just as Kieran managed to put his arms around his head.

He twisted his head and I heard a snap. Kieran let him go and the man fell to the floor with a heavy thud.

"Oh my God!" I screamed.

Kieran stepped over his body and took his gun from my hands. Reaching behind himself, he shoved the gun into the waistband of his jeans and pulled his shirt down.

"Is he...?"

Kieran nodded, breathing heavily as he wiped the blood from his nose with a single swipe of his hand. "Yeah, he is."

I stared at the man, who was once my landlord, lying on his stomach face down. "We-- We have to call the police."

"They're already on their way. And didn't I tell you to go wait in the car?"

"You needed my help."

"I was handling it, Elle."

The way he said my name didn't make my heart race like it did every other time. There was slight irritation behind it this time.

"Please just listen to me next time when I tell you to do something."

"Aye, aye Captain," I replied with a salute and a cheesy smile.

He rolled his eyes, walking out of the door. "Let's go, smartass."