chapter 1. pt 3

Confrontation

My mother walks over into the kitchen and put her money in a small tin. She works at the hotel to clean. "Long day at work. Finally back home." She said. I look at her for a brief moment and looked down at the vegetables "oh I'm sure it was. Expessually how the mayor goes on about it." I said with a soft chuckle wanting to just keep it casual pretending like I don't know anything.

My mom nods "indeed. Where is your brother?" She asks as she gets her self cleaned up fro dinner.

I put down the knife finishing cutting it up. "Down by the lake fishing for dinner he should be home soon. Oh also we whent into town today to pick up some last minute things." I said turning to her. I could feel my anger boiling faster then milk on the stove.

Mom smiles "good. I hope it's enough down wanna make a last minute turn around." She said looking at me. "Is everything alright?" She asks.

I sighs "no of fucking course not. I go into town. I buy stuff for our trip and what do I see? You making out with some guy and that guy had to be some dam Odrisscal. Why the hell where you making out with some gang member!"

SLAP

My mother slapped me across the face so hard I could have sworn I felt the earth stop moving for a second. The longest second of my life. My mother furrowed her eyebrows. "Now you listen here Missy. Your lucky I haven't sold you off to a whore house at the age of 18. You're 29 years old should be married, building a house and having children by now. So don't think about starting this with me. The odrisscals wanted our house. Only way I can keep them from taking it right now is being with them. Now do you wanna keep this up?" She asks.

I stared at her. I know she was lieing last guy who threatened to take our house was my mother shot him. I bit my tougne qnd nod "yes ma'am I'm sorry." I said as I turned back to the preparations for dinner. Johnny walked through the door carrying some fish. I look over and grabbed 4 small mouth bass. I noticed he was completely soaked. I guess mother took notice becuase I hear her ask why he was soaked. "Oh some fish pulled me into the water it looked like a small mouth but bigger. I'm gonna go get dried up." He said going to his room.

I go back to the kitchen and prepare dinner. I hear mother walk off to do who knows what. I continue to work on dinner. Soon I heard my father walk in. "I'm back and I got the lures for the trip." He said walking into the kitchen. He smiles seeing me "hey (y/n) is that dinner?".

I nod "yeah Me and Johnny whent to town and grabbed the rest of the supplies." I said continuing to cook.

My father nods "alright. " He said going to finish packing up for the trip. I finish up dinner and put it in the table and called everyone. I sit down with mom dad qnd Johnny. There was clear tension between me and mother. I guess they noticed it too because i hear my father speak up. He looks to Johnny "why are you soaking wet?" He asks and Johnny tells his tale of the giant bass. Good thing Johnny could swim and was smart enough to let go of the fishing rod.

As we finish dinner I clean up then head to my room. I open up my journal and write.

May 2nd 1899
I can't believe this. My mother is cheating on my father with some Odrisscal. Luckly the fishing trip is coming up. Hopefully it will take my mind off of it. Altho Johnny got pulled into the lake. Too bad I didn't see it. But I will never let him live it down.

I smile a bit and drew a small doodle of the lake and him flying into the water. I changed into my nightgown and closed my journal and finished packing my clothes. I put my journal in my satchel then crawl into bed. I layed there awake for a while listening to the critters outside. It took me a while to get to sleep. Unfortunately I inherited both my parents terrible sleep patterns and me being really anxious doesn't help. Mabye I'm over thinking things. I sigh and turn over and pulled the blankets over me and fall asleep.