chapter 1 part 8

Hunting time

"You know what. It's ok you can go ahead without me. Besides, someone's gotta at least do some of the chores around here." I said. 

"Oh don't worry about doing our chores but I'm not gonna stop you." Mary-Beth said. 

I nod "alright well go ahead and go have fun." I said as Mary-Beth walked away. I went to Arthur's tent. Since I don't have a tent yet, I have been sleeping in his tent. I picked up my journal and walked to the scout campfire outside of the camp. I sit down and begin to draw. I heard the wagon leave with arthur and the others. I was being to regret not going since I really had to get out of this camp. 

I walked over to the stew pot and get me a bowl of stew then goes to sit down at the table. I take a bite and nearly gagged on how bad it tasted. I stood up and walked over to the sink looking for a spot to dump it. 

"You ain't gonna eat that right?" A man asked. I look over and see he was tied to a tree. 

"No. Here. It's nasty tho." I said setting it down near him then walking away. I go over to the horses. The white horse trotted over to me. "Hello sweetie." I said rubbing her muzzle a bit and I went to sit down by a tree and begin to doodle around. 

The horse stayed nearby eating on the grass. I smiled softly and heard someone walk towards me. I look up and see a man walk over "hey Im Charles, how are you doing?" He asks and sits down next to me, setting a bow down next to him. 

I shrug "I'm doing… Alright I guess. I miss my father and brother, but I'm getting bored being around here." I said quietly. I heard him give a slight grunt and nodded. 

"well how about you come hunting with me then. I noticed you practically didn't eat Pearson's stew a few minutes ago." He said 

I laugh "that was stew. I think skunks would have tasted better." I said as I stood up hearing him chuckle a bit. I put my journal in my bag. "I'm sure Arthur won't mind if I borrow a rifle or a bow " I said walking over to his tent and opening the weapon chest. I found a bow and grabbed it along with some arrows and joined him by the horses. 

Charles was trying to calm the white one down before it took off. "Your horse suddenly got spooked and took off." He said apologetically. 

I sigh "it's ok we can go find her. " I said, beginning to walk after the horse to catch up. 

Charles followed with me leading his horse. "Are you gonna keep the horse?" He asks. 

I nod "might as well." I said as I walked up to the white horse and patted her gently. I get on her back. "Altho I have to get a saddle soon, I'm not sure if I can keep riding without a saddle for too long." 

"Well we might have a spare saddle around back in camp and we are close to Valentine too so you might be able to buy one there." Charles suggested. 

I nod "thanks I will keep that in mind for now let's get some actual food." I said a little sarcastically. Charles nods as we ride down to a river and cross it to hunt in the forest. I look over the bow "I hope I can remember how to use this. I only had a little practice with one when I was younger. " I told him 

"It's simple but it takes years to master. We can do a few practice shots." he suggested. I think about it and nod as we get off our horses and he teaches me how to use it. 

Charles handed me a few arrows "here take these. I will look around for something you can use as a target " He said as I loaded one onto the bow and got used to it. A few minutes go by and he rolls over an old barrel "Here." He said, propping it against the tree. He walked back over to me "ok now let's start at a short range so you can get used to shooting it" He said walking over to me and walked me through how to shoot it.

After about 30 minutes of practice shots we decided to head a little further into the forest. I stayed by him and I looked to see some oregano plants. "Oh we should bring these back." I said, beginning to pick them. 

Charles nods "yeah miss Grimshaw would definitely be happy about that." He said looking around for deer tracks waiting patiently for me. 

I continue to pick some and put it in my bag. I grabbed my bow and walked back to him "see anything?" I ask him as he shooed his head. I think for a moment. "Hmm well all animals get thirsty so we should wait by the river away from any roads. 

Charles nods "good idea. Have you hunted before?" He asks as we quietly walk to the river. 

I smile a bit as I remember a funny hunting trip with my father when I was really little. "A bit with my father. He taught me the ropes on how to hunt and kill one. Altho I could never track as well as he could. " I said as we approached the river. 

Charles nods "well I'm sure you will get the hang of it. I can show you how to do it some other time." He offered. I nod and sit in a shady spot under the tree. Charles sits next to me. We look out to the river. I took out my journal and began to sketch the river and write about hunting with Charles. I didn't notice he had looked over until he spoke up "You draw good." He said. 

I smile "Thanks." I said smiling and continued to draw the river after a bit. I put it away after noticing a buck at the river and I picked up my bow. I pointed it out to Charles so he could get a shot since he was a bit closer. I watched him take aim and take it and shot it. We walk over "hmm this seems like a decent size for now." 

Charles nodded and picked up the buck and threw it over his shoulder. "Yeah let's gather any mushrooms too while we are out here " He said as we walked back to the horses to put the buck on his horse. 

I walk around the woods a bit collecting mushrooms and berry's. I look up and see a wolf sniffing around. I quietly loaded my bow and took aim; without thinking I let go and the wolf fell instantly. I sat up and carefully walked over keeping the bow drawn. I walked over to the wolf and was surprised I managed to kill it in one hit. I whistle for my horse. 

Charles walked over "oh wow. Nice kill. Let's head back, we have gotten enough now." He said picking up the wolf and putting it on my horse while I went over to her and fed her a berry. We get on the horses and begin to head back to camp. He looked over at me "what are you gonna name your horse?" He asks 

I sit there and think for a moment "honestly. I'm not sure yet." I said thinking about a name 

Charles looks at the horse. "I'm sure you will come up with a name for her." He said as we made it back to camp. "Give the seasonings to Miss Grimshaw." He whispered down to me as he began to take the deer and wolf to the butcher table. 

I got off my horse and noticed she started freaking "It's just a roach." I said calming her down. I sigh and walk over to Miss. Grimshaw. "Here Miss. Grimshaw dont tell umm Pearson I think that's his name." I said, handing her the oregano. 

She looks at it "thank you (Y/N) the food definitely needed this and yes it is Pearson. I will sneak this into the next batch." She said putting it in her pocket then lowering her voice "it will be our secret " she chuckles. 

I smile and nod, chuckling a bit. I watched her walk away and I went to the other side of the chuck wagon and began to wash the dishes. I hear a wagon pulled up. I looked over and saw the old man and the girls getting off. I wondered where Arthur was at as I continued to wash the dishes.  

"Hey (y/n) come here." I hear a old man yell out. I put down the dishes and walked over.