Getting Close

First Year

Lian, an 18-year-old boy was chosen as the Moon of his faculty, Engineering

Lian, an 18-year-old boy was chosen as the Moon of his faculty, Engineering. He had the looks and was chosen by his fellow classmates simply for that reason. He was a skilled guitarist and thought of performing a short piece for the competition. During the practice for the competition, he met another quiet guy like himself named Yi. He was from the faculty of Business Administration. Both were the same: quiet and shy. It just so happened to be them who were chosen by their classmates to represent their faculty. “Hey, my name is Lian. What is your name?” Lian asked. “Yi.” The other guy replied and went back to reading his book. “You don’t want to be here. Do you?” Lian asked again. Yi closed his book with a snap and glared at Lian. “Stop bothering me. Go be loud with the others. Let me be in peace here.” Yi said and got up to get a drink. “You and I are the same. We don’t like socialising with people and like to be alone. We are pretty similar to each other”. Lian said matter-of-factly. “How do you know about this?” Yi asked unsure whether to trust this other Moon or not. “Ever since I came here, everyone talks to each other and are friends. We are the only two people that come here for practice and then go back home without talking with anyone else.” Lian said and took a long sip from his drink and waited for Yi to reply. “I get it now. So, are you trying to befriend me?” Yi asked, throwing away his empty glass. “If you are okay with it, I don’t have any problem with it.” Lian said, stretching his sore muscles. Yi thought for a while before saying, “You seem like a good person. I would like to be friends with you.” Lian smiled and shook Yi’s outstretched hand.

Final Year

As time went by, Yi and Lian got closer

As time went by, Yi and Lian got closer. Yi had trust issues because of which he found it difficult to trust anyone. He had a bad breakup with his ex-boyfriend and his best friend hurt him deeply and left him. He realised he could trust Lian after the Moon Competition. They grew closer and Yi slowly realised he had developed feelings for Lian. He started to worry a bit because of his past heartbreak. He thought the feelings will die down slowly if he slowly drifts away from Lian so that he doesn’t get hurt. But he couldn’t bring himself to do that. The bond between Yi and Lian was strong. He felt comforted when he was with Lian. He thought about the past 2 years being friends with Lian and realised why he feels close to Lian. He decided to keep liking Lian without him knowing it by remaining close friends. “Ai’Yi, do you want to start a business with me after graduating? We can work together if you don’t mind.” Lian asked Yi while having dinner together at his condo. Yi was taken aback by this question. He didn’t think that Lian would ask him to be his business partner. He didn’t know what he should say. “Ai’Lian, why are you asking me to be your business partner? I don’t think it’s a good idea.” Yi said after thinking for a few moments. “Ai’Yi, I trust you a lot and want to start a business with you. I can’t trust anyone else to be my partner. We have known each other for 2 years and I trust you more than anyone else.” Lian tried to convince Yi. After discussing this for a few minutes, Yi finally gave in to Lian’s requests.

“Are you okay? Where are you lost?” Yi asked Lian who was playing with the food in his plate. “I want to ask you something.” Lian said setting his spoon down. “What is it Ai’Lian?” Yi asked growing a bit worried. Lian collected his thoughts and asked, “Ai’Yi, I have known you for 4 years now. You don’t talk with many people and are friends with me and my friends. You were reluctant when I asked you to be my business partner. I want to know what happened to you that made you have trust issues.” Yi was a bit taken aback by the question. He never told anyone about it except his childhood friend. He took a deep breath and said, “It’s a long and bad story. I have never told anyone about it except my childhood friend. I’m making an exception by telling you the truth.
In high school, I had a boyfriend who I was dating for 4 years. After our final exams, I called him to hangout with me. He said that he was on a family trip and would return after 2 weeks. I called my best friend and invited him but he was down with a fever. I was a bit disheartened but cheered up when my childhood friend; my neighbour offered to take me out on a movie. We were looking for a parking spot when we saw my boyfriend and best friend kissing passionately. I was shocked and slowly understood what was going on. I secretly filmed them and their conversation on how they were secretly dating behind my back for the past 2 years and I was clueless about it. Angered boiled up inside me and I would have flown at them had my friend not stopped me. After 2 weeks, when my boyfriend returned home and my best friend had recovered, I invited both of them to my condo. I played the clip on my tv for both of them to see. We had a bad fight about it and got into an argument. I might have thrown one or two punches as well. That’s when I decided to breakup with my boyfriend and ended my 4 years friendship with my best friend.

That day onwards, I developed trust issues. It takes me a lot of time to make new friends. That day at the practice for the Moon Competition, I had the feeling that you are a good person and that I should befriend you. I trust you now and that’s the reason I told you about my past.” Lian got up from his seat and gave Yi a hug and said, “Don’t worry Yi. I’m not going to hurt you. I promise to take care of you forever and never let you go through what you did in the past. Thank you for trusting me and telling me about your past.”