Chapter Nine

Just as he had promised, Loki arrived bright and early. Hilda was quick to usher me to the temple steps upon his arrival. She was gushing about him and talking so fast I could hardly understand her. Only a few words were comprehensible, birthday, flowers, and-

"Oh, goodness," I breathed as the temple door slammed shut behind me. There Loki stood, absolutely beaming from ear to ear. Hilda mimicked his smile, squeezing my hand and practically jumping up and down with excitement. Within his right hand, Loki held a huge bouquet of white flowers, tied up with a gilded ribbon. Slung within his right arm was a huge stack of books, all tied up with individual ribbons.

"You really didn't think I'd forget, did you?" Loki asked as he began to make his way up the steps. Loki handed me the flowers, they were so fragrant and beautiful that they certainly rivaled every flower within the temple's garden. "Happy Birthday," he said with a wink.

My heart pounded in my chest. If Albruna had witnessed this or even Revna, I would've been thrown to the streets in an instant. "Hilda, why don't you run along," I said nervously, gently pushing the little girl on the back to encourage her. She looked up at me with furrowed brows, mouth open wide and ready to argue. "Please?" was all I asked before she seemed to grasp the hint. She nodded, pretending to lock her lips before she disappeared behind the temple doors.

"I bought you new books as well," Loki explained as I scanned the road in front of the temple, searching for any familiar faces that may rat me out. "Some are spell books, of course. But some are fantasy, I even snuck in some-"

I gently lead him aside, tucked away under the shade of a willow tree. And most importantly from prying eyes. "You really shouldn't have."

Loki leaned up against the tree, shoving his hands into his pocket."Oh please, it's your birthday. I was glad to. Do you like the flowers?" Loki said. His voice was like dripping honey, it was as if he was luring me into his security. For a brief moment, I forgot anything was wrong at all. "Why, yes, they're gorgeous," I replied.

"And the books should keep you plenty entertained. Quite a healthy sampling of literature, to say the least," Loki added, gesturing to the books that now lay at his feet. I nodded and a smile threatened to creep its way upon my lips. "Well, I-," I started before the rapid beat of my heart began to echo wildly in my ears.

"You really shouldn't have," I said. Loki's brows furrowed, begging me to continue. "You know I can't accept gifts o-or celebrate my birthday. If anyone were to see this and report me, I'd be dead. Are you trying to get me in trouble?" I  continued, lowering my voice as quiet as it could go. His face fell, all joy that was there a second ago melted from Loki's face.

Panic bubbled up within me as I contemplated every worst outcome. I could feel my chest begin to restrict, my palms go sweaty. I couldn't fathom what may happen if Albruna found out about the gifts. I was sure I'd be slapped, hits and ridicule were a given. But, what if she felt compelled to inflict worse? And if Revna saw? I couldn't even breathe as I thought of it all.

Loki's eyes studied our surroundings, looking at nearly everything but me. "I appreciate this, I really do but-" I began before Loki took my hand and pulled me into him. "Freyja," he said softly.

"Loki, if anyone knew-"

"Freyja," he repeated again.

"I would lose everything, no one would even hear me out-"

"Freyja," he said firmly. I met his eyes as he to my chin in his hand, commanding me to look at him. "Breathe. I followed his order, heaving in a deep breath. "Again," he demanded. In and out. The weight on my shoulders began to melt as I met his eyes.