11 • Book of Dragons

"This is all wrong." I said, not even halfway through the book.

"What do you mean?" Fishlegs asked.

"What's all this 'extremely dangerous, kill on sight?'" I looked up.

Everyone was looking at me with confused faces. I kept looking through the book.

"Timberjack. Extremely dangerous, kill on sight." I flipped the page.

"Whispering Death. Extremely dangerous, kill on sight.
Thunderdrum. Extremely dangerous, kill on sight." I read, flipping the page again.

Night Fury.

Astrid put her hand on my shoulder. "What's bothering you?"

"Night Fury." I read. Toothless perked up and looked at the book as if he was reading it. "Speed, unknown. Size, unknown." I read aloud.

Everyone was silent while they listened.

"Unholy offspring of lightning and death itself." I read, getting more annoyed with every word.

"Never engage this dragon." Toothless cooed sadly.

"Your only chance, hide and pray it does not find you." I finished, closing the book.

Toothless looked at me with sad eyes and I pulled him into a hug.

"You know I don't believe any of that." I whispered into his ear.

"You- You really care about that dragon?" Snotlout sounded genuinely surprised.

I turned to him. "He's my best friend." I said seriously.

There was a long moment of silence.

I sighed and shoved their Book of Dragons away. I turned around and grabbed my journal, dropping it in the grass for everyone to see.

"Woah." Fishlegs said. "May I?" He gestured to the book.

I nodded and he picked it up, obviously very excited to learn.

Everyone leaned in to hear Fishlegs read everything out loud.

"Night Fury." He started.

"Loyal and fierce... Loves belly rubs..." He continued, muttering bits and pieces of the journal.

"It says something about a smile." Tuffnut said, reading over his friend's shoulder. "Well, that's all I can understand."

Toothless perked up and gave his famous gummy smile, making everyone laugh.

I started scratching his stomach and he fell into his back playfully.

I got up and moved closer, playing with him happily.

Everyone else continued reading and watching us, amazed by what they were seeing.

Minutes later Fishlegs closed the book and set it down nicely in front of him.

Toothless and I had still been playfully attacking each other, but we both stopped and looked up at the group.

"How are we sure everything you wrote is true?" Snotlout said loudly. "You're probably lying to get us killed somehow!" He accused.

I pet Toothless and sat back down next to Astrid. The day was coming to and end, and it was getting dark quickly.

"Snotlout, you can't-" Astrid started to scold him but I stopped her short.

"Listen," I said, looking at them all. "I lived with dragons for twenty years. Almost all my life." I said.

They stared at me, surprised.

"I know almost everything about almost every dragon." I explained.

"Coooooool." The twins exclaimed in unison.

It was completely dark outside now, but the moon was bright and sitting right over the cove.

There was a minute of silence while I thought.

"I have an idea." I said with a smile. "Rest well and meet up here tomorrow morning."

Everyone agreed and sat up.

They all started climbing out of the cove but Astrid stopped around turned around

"Are you coming?" She asked.

I shook my head.

"You know you have a room in your dad's house." She said. "It's much more comfortable."

"I know. I just want to stay out here tonight." I said.

"I'm worried. It's gonna be a cold night." She kept trying.

I smiled even though I knew she couldn't see it in the dark.

She sighed, defeated, and leaned forward to kiss me.

Then she stepped back and started walking out.

"Goodnight Astrid." I turned away.

She left the cove, leaving just me, Toothless, and...

Tuffnut?

652 Words (Sheesh, that's a bit short compared to my other chapters!)