CHAPTER SEVENTEEN: HOUSE WARMING

Evans

My phone pinged from the kitchen counter making me drop the sandwich halfway to my mouth. I was eating while studying for the coming school week. Normally, I'd put my phone on focus mode while studying but I was expecting a call from Kayla to talk about the girls' trip yesterday.

I texted her about it but she insisted on calling. My heart skips a beat when I see it's a text from my mom. My parents have barely reached out since they kicked me out for getting detention in school. The most I've gotten is a visit from my father's secretary at the coffee shop.

"Don't skip your meals and study hard to redeem yourself." The text read.

So getting into college was the key back home. It didn't really hurt me. My family was never normal, unlike the American families I've seen. We had to be the best in everything we do not just for ourselves but for our ancestors that worked hard to give us the life we have today.

"Family name is more important." Dad would always say.

What about me? My mind would protest. I learned things about my heritage from hearing my mom's Asian friends gossip. They all had ways of training their heirs. Some would send their teenage kids to work from the bottom and expect them to climb to the top alone.

For my family, my first test was the coffee shop. Like the Riveras, my family owns hotels in some cities and we have five-star restaurants across major cities of the world. I knew my coffee shop would later be a small restaurant and then I'll be asked to try managing a hotel.

My doorbell rings drawing me out of my thoughts before I can think of a reply for my mom.

From the screen of my door viewer, I saw it was Kayla, and she looked like a volcano about to explode. I expected her to call and not visit my apartment. We haven't had time for a house warning yet. She storms her way in the second I open the door finding her way to my couch.

"Hi," I say to no one then I closed the door.

I sat at the other end of the couch for my safety. Kayla was scary when she was mad. It made me wonder how Zion didn't come here first. If she was in this mood since yesterday then he would have needed a place to hide. I knew he was going to the hospital for a checkup today. He wanted to drive again so he can stop feeling sorry for himself.

"Was it really that bad?" I asked dropping my sandwich.

"I CAN'T BELIEVE THEM!!!" she exploded.

My body jumped in defence but it was too late. I winced in pain from the headache her voice gave me. It happened so fast there was no time to guard my ears.

"I have never been so humiliated in my life! Who do they think they are?! They weren't even smart enough trying to hide it!" Kayla groans. "Those witches dare tried to set me up with a college student and he's actually interested in me."

"Woah Woah Woah!" I went closer. "Who tried to do what? With who?"

"Emma and Lexi ditched me with Lexi's handsome cousin Randy. There was no girl's hangout, it was a blind date."

The thought of someone setting Kayla on a blind date before I did amused me but something didn't add up. Kayla went out with Emma, how did Lexi get involved? Now I was actually worried about Kayla. Whenever Lexi was involved things were never good.

"Why was Lexi there?"

"I know right?!"

"And there's a hot college boy interested in you?"

"I didn't say he was hot,"

"You said he was handsome. I know how modest you can be,"

"He's not my type!"