5

We had all sat down breakfast together in the formal dining room, served by the recently arrived staff. The second I had woken up this morning, I had been informed by my team that our most important whistleblower was hesitating and considering pulling out of our deal. It was understandable, taking into account the risks it included for him and his family, but I knew I had to call the headquarters as soon as possible.

"Everyone." Nick stood up and clinked his glass carefully with a knife. Conversation died down, and my focus returned to the present moment, away from work. He looked down at Sara adoringly, both smiling widely, before she stood up next to him.

"We have an announcement," Sara continued, fingers crossed over her stomach as she shifted balance on her feet from nervousness. I glanced over at my mother, who had been flirting all through breakfast with Alexander beside her. She now seemed confused, eyes narrowing at her youngest. "We're expecting!"

My mother was the first stand up, hands raising with joy. "My darlings! How lovely." She made her way to the happy couple and hugged both tightly. Isabella followed suite and so did my father.

I stayed put, content in watching them celebrate and hug each other. Their voices faded out in my mind, and I was left gazing at my sister, who had never looked so beautiful and happy. A small smile tugged at the sides of my lips.

"Congratulations," Alexander had gone over to shake his brother's hand, and it turned into a hug. He then hugged Sara. I felt a hand on my shoulder and glanced back to see Isabella.

"Darling, won't you go congratulate?" she was smiling gently. I returned it and shook my head.

"I've known for a few days," I explained.

"That's right," Sara confirmed, looking over at me from the end of the long table, "we just had to tell Bella first! We asked her to be Godmother."

"Oh, how lovely," Isabella's smile widened. I knew Alexander had been watching me and was now as well, but I had successfully avoided his gaze at all costs.

"We were also hoping to ask you to be Godfather.." Nick turned to his brother with a happy grin. "We hope that's an offer you can't refuse."

"Save the dad-jokes for when you have a kid," Alexander chuckled, but accepted the invite with pleasure. I now had a chance to watch him for a moment, when I was sure his attention was on something else. The sinful thoughts from last night plagued me, knowing I would surely be a blushing mess when I talked to him next. With his room so close to mine, I had heard him leave quite early in the morning to most likely workout, before he returned and took a shower. During this time, I had slipped out and made my way downstairs.

"Isn't it wonderful?" My mother walked over to me and hugged me from behind. I was already expecting her to compare me to Sara and wonder where my pregnancy was, but instead she told me what an honour it was that they had asked me to be Godmother. "That's a very important role, Bella."

"I'm very honoured, yes," I gave her a smile, "and congratulations to you, you'll be a wonderful grandmother."

"Oh, I'll be the youngest of the bunch," she playfully flipped her hair back, and I laughed lightly, "but I'll take the role very seriously. You should too."

"I will, mum." I assured her, and my father had made his way to me as well, teary eyed as he hugged me. "They'll be very loved," I promised both my parents, referencing the unborn child.

My expectations of this announcement taking my mother's priorities elsewhere had thus far been proved right, and added to that was the heartwarming sight of it bringing everyone together in a new way.