Chapter 3 | Unwanted Memories

I stare at him with wide eyes before collecting myself, I grab the paper towels, and I help him with Courtney to clean all the water he spilled.

He stands rigidly with wide eyes before he starts helping. He still looks the same, his large frame, if possible grew more. He resembles Dad so much. The light brown hair and light green eyes, and I know he still likes running because he's tan. I notice his hands are shaking and when we finish he just stares at me. I keep my cool front on but in reality, my heart is breaking for the thousandth time seeing him after four years.

I go to the desk and grab Noah's information before telling Courtney to tell his family to call me and inform them that I'll be there tomorrow. I walk with a little more pepper in my step to the elevator where I enter and press the button for the ground floor.

I see my brother lift his arm up as if to say something but lowers it slowly as if accepting defeat. His mouth is slightly open with words that want to come out but aren't being voiced.

The doors close and I let go of the breath I've been holding. I lean against the elevator wall and slide down slowly putting my hands over my face. I want to start crying or yelling. I can't tell. All the emotion over all these years is threatening to boil over and I don't know how much longer I can hold it in. Take a deep breath, I tell myself.

The ride home to my apartment was a blur, everything seemed hazy. I decide I need a bath, so I head over and start the water and get my favorite bath bomb, "Lilac Breeze". I just lay in the water. No moments. Everything hurts. The memories start playing in my head and I silently cry.

Flashback

*Anna is six*

I'm crying on my bed holding my stuffed bunny, Carrots. My door slightly opens then I see my brother, Liam in front of me. "Hey, hey, calm down Luna" He pulls me into a hug, and starts whispering kind words to me. "Do you want to tell me what you're crying about?" he asks meekly.

"Momma said I was too big and I should starve myself"

I feel him tense before he says "Don't listen to her you are perfect the way you are"

That happened way too much, I start crying harder.

Flashback

*Anna is Twelve*

I'm running through the halls of my school and all I see is red. I try breathing but I can't. Jessica in my class just called my brother ugly and trash. I run out of the school to my Uncle's gym down the road. He knows I have a hard time with my anger issues so he allows me to use his punching bags in exchange for me helping clean the gym every now and then. I open the door and soon enough I sink to the floor due to exhaustion. I wait around for a few hours cleaning when I see my brother walk through the door with a disappointed look on his face.

He spots me and calls me over and asks, "What did she say to you this time?"

I whisper "She called you ugly and trash so I punched her in the nose then ran here."

"Listen to me Luna, people will tell you horrible things about other people and yourself. It's your job to be the better person and let them know they don't get to you, okay?" He asks and I just simply nod my head, he always knows how to calm me down.

I stare at the ceiling. Begging for this to end but not before long another memory comes into my head.

Flashback

*Anna is Fourteen*

I kick her in her stomach and in the head. She is lying on the floor blood coming out of her mouth and nose with her arms wrapped around her stomach. I smirk knowing I won. The crowd around us clears for me as I walk triumphantly through. No one messes with Anna Emont and her family.

I enter my house and see my Mother with another man on the couch. Great, I think this is the third one this week, it's Monday. I run to my Uncle's gym and see Cain, my best friend beating up another boy in the ring. Once he's done making the other boy unrecognizable we spar together. The door bangs open and I see my brother fuming walking in. "ANNA" I curse under my breath and walk out to see what he wants.

"You're fourteen" He gives me a pleading look and all I do is shrug

"I know" walking away to fight Cain.

*Anna is sixteen*

I'm sitting down on a bench outside an underground fighting ring, I just got the shit beat out of me and Liam is now giving me a lecture while bandaging me up. Cain couldn't make it so I had to call him. When he's done we head home. Of course, my Dad is home and my Mother is gone. Probably with a few men at the hotel down the road.

I find my room door open, which is weird because it's always closed. I see my mother sitting on my bed with crazy eyes and stuff thrown around my room.

"YOU" She lunges at me "IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT I'M STUCK HERE, YOU WHORE" A few tears fall from my eyes as she holds me down kicking my bruised ribs from the fight earlier.

She's now carving on my back but I'm too weak to move when I feel her finish. I feel her weight lift off my back and I am seeing stars. I hear Liam in the distance yelling, his voice gets far away. I'm welcomed into the darkness.

I am now sobbing, the water now cold. I get out and dry myself and head to bed. I need rest for the following day.