Chapter One: Fleeing for a Scheme

Sadly, there was no rope inside of my room and the nearest tree was still accessible to me. There was a small ledge a few down from the window though, so I took my chances and held onto the window sill for dear life, taking a leap of faith and landing on my tippy-toes with my back pressing against the wall. The ridge was only meant to guide rainwater away, and was only about a inch and a half wide, making a very tough scenario. Suddenly, I heard the door creak open above me, and the voice of Sam say, "The windows open, let me check."

Terror seeped through every bit of my body, and I held my breath, the pebbles underneath me were making a scrabbling ever so quietly underneath me on the ledge, and I prayed that I wouldn't crash five hundred feet down; after all I was staring down into an abyss, since this was the above-ground area of the mountain bunker now.

I heard the warden's footsteps get closer and closer, until I peered down and swallowed from looking at the depths of the valley for two long. I saw his head poke out of the window and glance around, then to my horror he closed the window. It's not like I could have reached up anyway, but it for sure gave me a bit of comfort.

The window shut and I heard a click, he had locked it. With no other choice and my toes already beginning to ache, I scaled down the walls, until I reached a sturdy branch in my path. It was still a good two feet away from me when I got to the closest point, but I was going to fall any instant now. Taking a jump, I closed my eyes and-

My feet hit the wood and I grabbed another limb from the tree above me. Letting out a small sigh of relief, I climbed towards the trunk of the tree and rested in the fork amongst some dense leaves. The tree was about fifty feet tall, a massive oak. There were scarcely any branches at the bottom... meaning there was no way down. Also, one slip up and you would be plummeting down thousands of feet to your demise, and I didn't feel like losing a life today. In fact, even if you were to hit the slope below, the dirt was crumbly and you would either slide down into the ravine anyway, or at least be severely injured from a close to fifty foot jump. After evaluating the situation long after dusk turned to twilight, you knew that mobs would start spawning, and being outside meant spiders; that could climb trees.

Dropping down would be the best option, at least I thought so at first. Sadly, even if you were able to grab the tree before tumbling down the hill a broken ankle could be the least of your problems, even with the soft moss below. Now the best solution? Vines. A cluster of thick vines were to my right, and another few smaller vines to my left. First taking ahold of the smaller vines, I cut them with my teeth and tied them to the branch with the sturdier vines, all the support would be needed. Together, the Ivy seemed strong enough to hold me, and I climbed down, walking on the tree. It went smoothly, and I was luckily able to escape. Perhaps they had just forgotten about me?

----------------------------

584 words! Typing on a school I-Pad (With keyboard btw) is kind of tough, but once summer break hits I will be posting more often with longer chapters and my nice keyboard! :D