Chapter 5: The "babysitter"

Calantis, southern Malvay.
Toro wakes up in his hotel room one morning. He is still weirdly dressed. He rushes to the bathroom and cleans up. He walks past his calendar casually, and catches a glimpse of it.
*Talking to himself*
Toro: it's 30th today. Feels like just yesterday I took that kid to the forest, but it's actually been a month...-Huh?! A month?!

Toro hurries out, heading to Obala forest, in his car.

Meanwhile, Mario is covered in blood, his palm is bruised from gripping dark nemesis multiple times. He looks unkempt and his eyes portray lack of sleep. He looks at the sky as the sun rises and mutters to himself

Mario: Day 31. He's still not here. I just have to go on. Was Mavis right? No, that doesn't matter now. Just have to keep fighting.

Mario struggles to keep walking, but he collapses after taking three steps. Toro, who had already deactivated the barrier catches him. Toro stares at Mario, who is still unconscious.

Toro: In a perfect world, you'd be in a mansion right now. You'd have two hands and an innocent smile, but unfortunately, this world isn't perfect. Far from it. In this world, darkness doesn't wait for the sun to set. Darkness is everywhere at every time. Even now, I still sense that malice from you. The strong intent to kill. Who do you want to kill, Mario?

Mario's lips move slowly.

Mario: I didn't die. I'll see your face soon.

Toro: Oh, you will, but right now, we need to get out of here. Your test is over.

Toro carries Mario to his car, and drives to an old barn, where he tends to Mario's wounds. After some hours, Mario wakes up, to find himself under the shade of a tree. He sees Toro, who is on the plain field, staring at the sky. Mario manages to walk up to him, as he keeps clutching his lower back.

Toro: You should rest some more. It's proper.

Mario: You should just take off your mask so I can see your face. That's what I call "proper".

Toro: Do you know why I cover my entire body?

Mario: Probably because you're a weirdo, who thinks it's the proper thing to do.

Toro: You really are a pain.

Mario: When will I be able to use Kado?

Toro: You see that blade I gave you? It's capable of bringing an end to every being in the universe. Even immortals. You just have to be able to use it...according to legends, of course. If you can make that sword do something extraordinary, then there's a possibility that you can use kado.

Mario: Possibility?

Toro: Kado is a gift. Gifts aren't given to everyone. Congratulations, by the way. You're no longer a hunter in training. You are now a junior hunter. Now that you're officially a member of the Demon Dogs Institute (DDI), I'm afraid we may no longer see each other this often.

*Toro hands over a device to Mario*

Toro: The location of your new residence is shown there. I'll send someone to watch over you and help you understand the job.

Mario: I don't need a babysitter.

Toro: That's rather sad. You'll get all the necessary stuff when you get there. Your place of residence will be changed over time, so, don't get too use to it.

Mario: Whatever.

Toro: A word of advice. Live every day like it's your last day, because it may just be that. Do your best and climb the rankings as quick as possible. In this line of work, people don't exactly live long. And Mario?