Chapter 35: Insights on the past I

John Kado finds himself at the palace. He's almost instantly summoned to the King's chambers. King Gregor, on hearing John making his entry, turns to address him. He doesn't seem to be in a good mood.
He's dressed in his royal attire, wearing a glorious gold crown on his head.

King Gregor: Come back from your rebellious adventure?

John just looks away, avoiding eye contact as he remains mute. King Gregor carries on, nonetheless.

King Gregor: While you may be my friend and most trusted adviser, there are boundaries and limits. Think twice before you defy me again.

John Kado: Apologies, my king.

King Gregor: Never mind that. While you were away, I made sure my message was passed to Novali. With their communication channels being so awfully efficient, as usual, my message was received, and a reply was given.

John speaks in a low tone.

John Kado: We cannot let Seagard suffer their wrath...

King Gregor: They rejected my proposal, John. They're coming. They're coming for all of us. The occupation is coming back. Our independence will soon be no more.

John Kado begins to breath heavily. He puts his hands on King Gregor's shoulders, staring him in the face, startling Gregor himself.

John Kado: You cannot let this happen. We can't go back to how it was...you can't...you can't...

King Gregor looks away as he mutters slowly.

King Gregor: There's...there's nothing I can do.

King Gregor slowly walks towards his bed, a man devoid of hope. He takes off his crown and slowly places it on his bed. John Kado watches on, rendered immobile by the turnout of events. King Gregor sits on his bed, looking at John.

King Gregor: We are the slaves of the Novalians once again.

John Kado: My king, you should address your people. They need to hear you speak. Command them and they will follow. We can...

King Gregor cuts him short. He yells angrily at John.

King Gregor: We can't do anything. I will not speak to anybody! Do whatever you please, John. Leave me be. I wish to remain here, undisturbed! Do you understand me?!

It takes a while for John Kado to give a reply. Eventually, John nods and takes his leave, closing the door behind him. Gaius, the commander of Malvay's military forces, hurriedly walks up to John. He's breathing heavily, and sweating profusely in his gallant metal armour. Gaius begins to talk fast, forming sentences not easy to understand.

Gaius: I'd like to see the king. It's urgent. Is he in?

John simply looks at Gaius as he shakes his head in response. Gaius facially expresses his surprise. His speech pattern shows he's panicking.

Gaius: Novalian ships would have reached our shores by the morrow. They have sailed faster than we anticipated. I need to see the king!

John Kado places his hand on Gaius' shoulder, gently tapping his armour.

John Kado: The king does not wish to be disturbed. Gaius, I need to speak with the people. Gather as many citizens as you can, just outside the palace. Please do this, we need to be as swift as possible.

Gaius stares at John's face, looking him in the eye. Both men just stare at each other in silence.

Gaius: This look in your eyes...understood.

Gaius hurries through the palace's corridor.

Barely an hour later, John Kado comes out to a large crowd of Malvs. He stands on a relatively high podium, built connecting to the courtyard. It's the traditional position a Malv king stands to address the masses. John, overwhelmed by the size of the crowd, becomes dazed. Gaius, who was standing at a distance, walks up to him, whispering in his ear.

Gaius: They're waiting for you.

There is conspicuous mumbling among the crowd. They become louder as time passes. It's becoming rather rowdy, as is evident from John's view. He finally opens his mouth to speak, to Gaius' delight. John speaks audibly. It is as though his voice was made for these moments.

John Kado: Citizens of Malvay!

The crowd suddenly quietens, an attempt to hear what the king's chief adviser has to say. They'd never heard John give a public address prior to this moment. The fact that they'd become quiet seems to have surprised John. This all seems new to him. He continues his address, having the attention of the crowd.

John Kado: I know there are many among you who have heard, and some among you who may still be unaware. I am here to tell you...it is true...

The mumblings suddenly arise again. John's statement sparks a new series of side talks, whispers and mutterings. John waves the crowd, signalling them to quiet down and listen. He speaks with his loud voice, echoing through everyone's ears.

John Kado: Yes, it is true! There are Novalian warships heading here as I speak. I am thirty three years old today...and in all my years, I've never known freedom, save this short period of the Novalian occupation's end. I am, however, not willing to give this up...and neither should you!

The mumbles resume, John's comments seem to have brought confusion amongst the crowd. They begin to wonder what his statement means. John roars out the rest of his speech nonetheless.

John Kado: These people took our freedom away from us many years ago, and even now, seek to do the same. Fifteen Novalian warships will reach our ports before midnight tomorrow. All my life, all I've ever wished for is peace, but now, we are faced with a choice. We can either accept the return of the occupation, and become slaves in our motherland once more,...or we can look them in the eye and say no...,dying free men. The time to decide is at hand.

The crowd seems to have caught up. It's a strange thing to them. They are used to receiving and obeying orders. Giving an opinion or making a decision of this magnitude is something they never thought of. There's a general feeling of uncertainty and doubt among them. A low pitched response suddenly emerges. This response soon becomes popular among them, becoming louder by the second. The crowd roars in response, sending a clear message to John. Their response imbues confidence in John. Gaius watches from behind him, amazed. John delightfully carries on his charge.

John Kado: The enemy most likely intends to dock at Seagard. We may not be able to match Novali's might, but we can defeat the incoming invaders through carefully planned mass effort. Novali does not expect to meet much resistance, knowing our military strength, but I assure you, we can be victorious. It will take time for this message to reach more distant parts of the kingdom, and so, we'll form the first line of defence. Fight with me and defend our freedom. Fight...for Malvay!

The crowd erupts, crying out in agreement. They seem high on desire and morale.

After addressing the crowd, John holds a meeting with the kingdom's nobles. They all seem discontent with having the king absent, and unwilling to take instructions from John. Gaius somehow persuades them into listening. They begin to debate and strategize for the war to come. The council decides to arm all adult males willing and able to fight, despite concerns about fueling acts of violence among citizens.

They toiled through the night, making preparations, but despite the defying motivation of the people, the prospect of war left fear and a grim atmosphere thought out the kingdom.