Chapter 3-Campfire Stories

Sparx is good about keeping herself in Nick and Drake's line of sight. Even though the mighty dragon is capable of tremendous flight speeds, the pixie has the advantage of instantaneous teleportation. All she has to do is place the image in her mind of her desired destination and she spontaneously appears there in the blink of an eye.

At this moment she is over a break in the forest that reveals a river glimmering in the moonlight.

"If she is just showing us her reflection again......" Nick begins. A scowl forms over his brow as he notices where Sparx is headed.

No, look more closely.

As he receives the thought from Drake, Nick notices a small fire near the banks of the other side of the river. He stares more intently at the immediate surroundings of the fire and is able to make out the shapes of three makeshift tents. It had been a while since they had encountered any people. Their cavernous abode is deep within Aldin Forest. This is the first sign of humans since they had taken up residence here.

Instead of landing directly at the campsite, Drake makes a low sweeping circle over the river and the surrounding forest. Something isn't right. If people are here, Nick would have been able to smell the blood by now. Either the campers had suddenly vanished, leaving behind a well stoked campfire, or..........

Sparx appears next to Nick's shoulder. She looks very frightened.

Drake comes in low to the ground, gives a few brief flaps of his wings to decelerate, and pounces on the shores of the river. Nick remains in the saddle with Sparx by his side as the dragon slinks up next to the nearest tent. An arm is visible now, as it lies motionless, protruding through the canvas flaps.