Chapter 1

I was walking down the halls, my ladies in tow. It bothered my brother, King Harry, when I travelled around the castle without them; it made me feel free. They appreciated my company as much as I did theirs, so when I saw the next opportunity to go to the gardens, I waved my fingers and they all dispersed in their own direction. We may not have liked each other, but we always shared what news and gossip we could gather on our own. I liked that bit well enough.
I pushed forward through the gardens curtsying to the various earls and ladies at court, making small talk when he caught my eye. Rob was standing not too far away, his head bent to listen to what a shorter lord was saying. My staring brought his gaze to me, and I turned quickly, my cheeks flushing  without my permission. We had grown up in the castle together, but something had changed, and he was looking at me differently. Like I was a Princess in court, but more importantly, like I was worth looking at. I looked up again to see him bowing to the lord, and making his way to me. Focusing on my breathing, I held his gaze as he bowed, grabbing my hand and kissing it. I smiled, bobbing a small amount for the fear of losing the oceans in his eyes. "Your Highness." he greeted.

"Your Grace." I returned. I knew he only gave me these greetings to the amount of nobility around us and my reputation among them. "Care to walk me through the gardens?" He smiled, pulling my hand through his arm.

"It would be my pleasure, your Highness." We made our way to the back where most of the nobility wouldn't be able to see us or more importantly hear us. "How are you doing, El?" he asked. My stomach did a flip when he shortened my name. It was special because he was the only one who ever did such.

"I'm fine, Rob. The ladies are grinding my nerves, but it is court, what can you do about it?" I said throwing up my free hand. He grasped my hand that was looped through his arm, giving it a comforting squeeze.

"I just know how much you hate being here," he said. I smiled at him. He wasn't hard to look at. He had the big shoulders and dark hair like most of the men at court did, but his eyes were what had always captivated me. That was how we had met when we were children. He had come to court when he was fourteen, his father brandishing him about, showing him off, I was twelve. He had caught me staring at him, because I had no decency, and he began teasing me right up until our fathers introduced us. He felt right ashamed at teasing the princess, but it had made me feel free because he had treated me no differently. I was twelve at the time, and when the prying eyes at court weren't around he was always the same.

We had crossed paths with one of my ladies. She curtsied to me, then Rob, her eyebrows raised. I flicked my fingers and she left. Rob watched her leave. "Which one is that?" he asked. I scowled at him and pulled him forward, heading deeper into the garden.

"Emily Dorva. Her father owns an estate on the island." I quipped. Rob nodded, watching him turn the corner. My cheeks flushed against my will. Of course he was interested in her. She was pretty and an Earl's daughter. Rob would never marry the likes of me. Harry wanted me to marry advantageously. I wasn't allowed to choose what my heart wanted. I looked away, scowling still, pushing my feelings back down. I didn't feel that way for Rob, we were friends, we were just close and comfortable with each other. That was all. I could feel his gaze on me now, and I only scowled deeper, walking onward.

"Are you jealous?" he chuckled. Heat rushed to my cheeks again, and I pulled my arm from his.

"Your ego is just getting ahead of yourself again, Rob." I commented, leaving him standing there while I continued on the path. He was bent over, his hands on his knees laughing at me. The gall! I crossed my arms and continued on, my head held high like I had been taught so long ago.

"El!" he jogged for a second to catch up with me. "El, slow down! It was a joke." He grabbed my elbow and spun me around. I frowned at him, pulling away from his grip. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to poke fun." he lowered his voice and his head, his eyes seeming to search mine. I smiled at him, like he had at me and he gawked at me. I shook my head, laughing at him. He looped my arm back through his and we made our way back through the garden.