PROLOGUE

JUNIPER 'JUNE' CARROWAY WAS BORN OCTOBER 1ST, 1989

She had thought nothing of it her entire life. Birthdays weren't something she tended to celebrate. In fact, the only birthday she ever took seriously was her cats, Otis. However, Otis met an early fate at the result of a drunk driver when June was 7.

Her family moved a lot after that. For almost 8 years, the only friends June had that stuck were her parents, Melissa and Charlie Carroway. She was too young to understand at the time that they were looking for a cure. Her mother was dying slowly, and June was never told until she was stood at her hospital bed at the age of 15, watching the life slip from her eyes. She watched as the heart monitor flattened, and listened as a loud continuous beep echoed around the room.

She refused to let the doctors take her away, gripping her mother's hand tightly as she cried, and wished for nothing more than to have her come back.

She didn't expect it to actually happen, but doctors could only watch with shock as the woman woke back up, confused, and somehow weirder - cured.

June didn't question it. She didn't care. She only cared that her mother was back, and alive, and healthy. The news papers did. Within hours, everyone knew the name Juniper Carroway. Including one Sir Reginald Hargreeves. The family didn't live far from the man's academy at the time, and they were woken up the next morning - bright and early at 6am, to knocking on the door. Hargreeves thought it was weird at first, of course, but it had piqued his interest - but things only got worse when he found out when she was born. June was confused as she was then made to go to her room, as her parents explained to the man -

"It was around noon.. We were in the hospital already, waiting for the doctor to talk to us.." Melissa paused, "He was going to tell us that.. Both of us were infertile. But then it happened. I was in labour, and then June arrived, healthy and happy. It didn't make any sense. We lied to everyone for years, saying that we just didn't know I was pregnant but.."

Charlie cleared his throat as he took over, "But we heard the stories.. That there were 42 out there just like us, and you had seven.. We couldn't keep lying to ourselves."

Reginald nodded slowly, "How long have you known?"

"Well.. We did think for a few years. But when she was 7, her cat was killed by a drunk driver. June ran out, picked him up. Seconds later, the cat was walking around like nothing happened." Melissa started, "But June started bleeding from her nose, and her ears, and her eyes.. and.. Then she passed out."

"From what we know, June doesn't seem to remember.. The uh.. Otis incident. She still thinks he's dead." Charlie told him, "As soon as she woke up, we explained we were moving. We told her Otis didn't make it, but we had just given him into the shelter nearby."

"We just.. We wanted to protect her from everything." Melissa looked down to the floor, "But then she brought me back, and now everyone knows."