ONE

CHAPTER ONE,
a hargreeves and carroway reunion.

JUNE HAD NEVER KNOWN HOW TO DRESS FOR FUNERALS

Then again, she had only been to two before in her entire life. The first was one of her cat's, Otis. She had worn miss matched socks, no shoes, and a weird little bright yellow summer dress her grandmother had gotten her the year before. It didn't fit her very well at the time. She had owned no dark clothes back then. Of course, since then, she had found out that the Nikes shoe box that they had buried in their back garden in Sydney, Australia was full of socks - only to make it seem like there was something in there when she held it - because Otis sure as hell wasn't. And the second one was Ben's, where she had worn the Umbrella Academy uniform.

That was the last time she had worn that uniform. It now lived in the bottom drawer of her chester drawers that were sat at the bottom of her bed.

But now, as she stared blankly at the little tv in Griddy's Donuts, she realized she had no idea what a normal person would wear to a funeral. An actual funeral, that is, and not a oh shit, you brought your cat back to life, here's a box of socks funeral.

"June?" Agnes called out, breaking June out of her trance as she looked over to her. "Is everything okay? Do you need to go?"

June frowned slightly and looked back up to the tv. The news still on screen as the reporter spoke about how they had found Sir Reginald Hargreeves dead this morning. She also didn't know what to feel. She had grown numb to the idea of death. She had cried for days when Otis had died, and when her mother died. But with how they had both come back, she had thought she had never had to mourn anyone. She was clearly proven wrong with that one when Ben died. But, she had reacted differently with that one. She didn't cry like she had with Otis or Melissa. No, she fell completely quiet, pliant, and it scared the rest of the Hargreeves siblings. She didn't move unless someone had put an arm around her and literally directed her back in to the academy.

"I, uh.. I don't know." June answered honestly. Agnes looked to the three customers at the counter, two of which already had their orders. The third had only just arrived, but she seemed fine with waiting. Agnes looked up to the time to see that it was nearing the end of June's shift anyways.

"Okay.. Well, why don't you get going? I'm fine here on my own, I can lock up." Agnes said softly. June tore her eyes way from the screen and to her boss. A second passed of June just staring before she nodded. Agnes offered her a soft, sympathetic smile. Wordless, June walked to the back rooms to discard of her coffee stained, icing covered uniform and change into her own clothes.

The old, tattered Motley Crue shirt and ripped cuffed jeans seemed just fine that morning when she had put them on, but looking at herself in the mirror as she freed her curls from the mandatory hair tie, she second guessed herself. She ignored it, retied her laces on her muddy trainers, and grabbed her bag before signing out and leaving.