24 • Unraveling

Over the last three months, I'd tried to live without regrets piling up inside my heart, just like Lydie wanted

Today had pushed me past facing my fears. During the course of the evening, I'd broken into the office of my former boss only to be ambushed by Tom Fredericksen and told my sister was still alive. I'd also dropped a grown man to his knees, fallen out of an airplane, and swam to shore with my unconscious fiancée clipped to my back.

Now, I was standing face to face with the man at the heart of all my troubles.

A man that was guilty of adultery, assault, bribery, murder, and being the most heartless human being I'd ever met.

A high-intensity flashlight shined in my eyes. Blinding me to everything except its brightness. As discreetly as I could, I used my foot to slide the gun closer to South's unconscious body while lifting my hands in the air.

"This adventure to Martha's Vineyard wasn't detailed in our family schedule." The admiral's voice was cold and clipped. "What in God's name do you think you're doing out here?"

I wondered if I should lie. Explain that South and I had run off on a romantic tryst, wanting to celebrate our engagement alone.

Les couldn't possibly know the real reason we were out on Martha's Vineyard?

Could he?

The flashlight beam shifted off my face, and I blinked my vision back. My future father-in-law stood before me, wearing a white button shirt tucked neatly into creased khaki pants. His salt and pepper hair perfectly slicked back.

It was strange how someone so evil could look almost normal, dressed like he belonged at the yacht club, sipping spritzers and munching on crab cakes.

The cruel twist of a smile formed on his face, and it was then I realized he knew my sister was alive. Why else was he here?

Which didn't make sense.

Unless... he'd already had McGilvary's office bugged, and he'd heard everything Tom Fredericksen told us. Our mission to plant a listening device only a test to see if we'd follow his instructions.

"No response?" Les asked, cat-like. Amused yet bored with me. He raised the gun an inch and took a step forward.

My heart picked up a frantic pace. My brain busy piecing facts together even though the world around me was unraveling.

Les Tenney's calculating hazel eyes left my face and drifted down to his son, who was lying motionless on the ground.

"What's wrong with him?" Les asked, letting the flashlight beam settle on South.