Chapter 12: Why

Song is called "Why" by: Derivakat!
Enjoy!

"I'm sorry it took me so long. Arianna, Rapunzel and I were trying to think how we could convince Frederic to at least give you weekly sessions with a therapist. But he's being so stubborn!" I explained, clenching the bars that kept me from Varian.
"Like that would help." Varian scoffed, completely turning around and staring at me.
The hole in his shirt and apron was patched and he looked pretty much normal on the outside. Except for the dark circles under his eyes, and the blood still stained on parts of his clothes.
Ok, maybe he wasn't that fine-
"Varian, my guardians are the King and Queen! I'm trying to go against and defying the King's law right now! Try to show me some patience please!" I begged.
"I'm in a prison cell right now Y/n! Do you just think that-? Ok, you know what, none of this wouldn't have even happened if Rapunzel had just helped me." Varian said, darkly.
"It's not just her fault Varian, we're all the villains here. And this entire conflict wouldn't have even started if you had just calmly went to Rapunzel when the snow died down and had a decent and meaningful conversation. Communication man!" I argued.
"Whatever Y/n, you know I'm right." Varian decided.
We stared each other down, both of us too stubborn to yield to the other.
I sighed, sliding my hands up the bars as I stood up.
Varian breathed sharply as he turned back around.
I looked at him.
"Look at what you've done, is this what you call glory?" I started to sing. Varian turned back around, watching me.
"Do you still believe? You're the hero of your story?" I asked, tilting my head to the side.
"I longed for peace, but you couldn't leave it be. Now you've played your part, in this forever unfinished symphony." I sang.
Varian stood up, his hands on the bars as well.
"Oh, it hurts, and it hurts, and it's getting worse. A promise you made, cut down by your blade." Varian sang, his voice filled with pain and unresolved grudges.
"Can't stand the rain, can't stand the pain," I sang back, thinking back on how the rain fell down on Varian's dead body. It would forever scar me.
"How it breaks my heart, when you tear it apart!" I finished.
"So Why?" We both sang.
"Why did you lie? Why did your words amount to nothing!" Varian sang, tears threatening to fall down his face.
"And why? Why did it fall? Why did you leave me here with nothing!?" Varian accused, gesturing to his cell.
"Look at what you've done, is this your happy ending?" I asked, reaching through the bars to stroke his cheeks, but Varian immediately flinched away.
"Look around and see, this is history repeating." I sang, recalling all those times I tried to get Varian to see what I saw in him, or try to help him understand both points of views.
"Do you even care? That you've left things beyond repair?" I asked, allowing only one tear to fall from my eye.
"It was by your hand, you've turned a masterpiece into a nightmare." I start to think about our relationship, how it could have gone if he hadn't gone down this path...
"Oh, it hurts, and it hurts, and it's getting worse." Varian sang, hugging himself.
"You act like a judge, enforcing your personal grudge!" I tried to get him to see.
"Am I to pay for this war you've raised?" I sang, keeping my hands firmly locked onto the bars.
"Yes it breaks my heart, when you tear it apart!" Varian sang, taking his gloves off and hesitantly putting them back into the bars.
"So why?" We both sang.
"Why did you lie?" Varian asked.
"Why did your words amount to nothing?" I asked back.
"And why? Why did it fall? Why did you leave me here with nothing?!" Varian almost yelled, his head lowering as tears sprang from his eyes.
Varian's hands slid down the bars as he sat down on his knees in front of the bars between us.
I sat down on my knees in front of him too, placing my hands firmly on his.
"Look at what you've done, you've brought upon disaster...
Do you still believe? This is the justice you sought after?" I asked, finishing the song.
Varian looks at me, intensely and deep in thought.
"No, this is not what I wanted." Varian replied.

~15 minutes later~

"Your powers are growing stronger, when I get out of here, we'll need to run some tests again." Varian said, biting into a cookie I sneakily stole from the kitchen.
"Yeah, I'm surprised nobody has noticed the guards missing. Or at least I would have thought the guards would realize what they should really be doing." I joked, biting into my own cookie.
"Thanks for making me realize that although I wasn't exactly in the right, I'm not completely in the wrong either." Varian said.
We were sitting back to back, only the bars keeping us from fully touching.
"I'm glad I finally got through to you, I think a certain King needs to hear us sing that duet again though." I chuckled.
"You do know best," Varian laughed along.
Comfortable silence followed afterwards, only for Varian to break it moments after.
"Hey uh- when I was well um...dead...and you brought me back to life...did you really mean what you said?" Varian asked, turning around and facing me.
I turned around and faced him too, I reached through the bars and cupped the side of his face.
"You mean when I said "I love you"? Yeah, I meant every word." I smiled.
Varian put his un-gloved hand on my hand that was still on his cheek, smiling back.
"I love you too." He replied.
He started to lean in, and I as well.
Our faces reached as far as we could through the bars and our lips touched.
His lips tasted like cookie crumbs and the steam that emits from boiling potions.
Our hands interlocked with each other as the kiss deepened.
We pulled away after what felt like an eternity for air.
Then we started to laugh.
"Never thought my first kiss would be with a prisoner." I teased.
"Never thought mine would be with a stone." Varian shot back, grinning.
I scoffed in a teasingly way.
"I won't stop trying to reach my father, Varian. I'll find a way to visit you every day. I promise." I assured, reaching through the bars again to hold his hand.
"I'll be holding you to that promise." Varian smiled, kissing the palm of my hand.
I blushed.
I waved him goodbye and made my way to the ground floor of the castle.
Closing my eyes and inhaling deeply, they shot back open, their color glowing pink.
I could suddenly see everybody's energy throughout the castle.
I pin pointed each energy that seemed to have a disturbance in them. With a snap of my fingers all the guards I had changed the emotions of, changed back into their original emotions.
I quickly darted back to my room, hearing the rumble of footsteps beneath me as I finally reached my door.
I was having fun learning the abilities and the true potential of my power.
Tomorrow was a new day, and a new day, meant a new way of convincing Frederic to release Varian.
If not then, well, there are other ways to convince Frederic to release him.

Hope you enjoyed!
Please tell me if I made any mistakes!
Have a blessed day/morning/night!<3