Another World

"Wait– Did you say... Ninjago? As in, Ninjas and Dark Forces and Serpentine? That Ninjago?" Hoshimi stumbled over her words, in complete shock because of what Danuja had told her.

Danuja laughed. "What other Ninjago would there be? If you mean The Dark Island, nobody's been there in years. And the Serpentine mean us no harm."

Hoshimi was still astonished by the fact that she was in Ninjago. She had loved the show as a child, and the characters that populated it. Maybe if she went to Ninjago City...

"Hey, are there any train stations closeby?" She asked Danuja.

"Why, yes, there's one just down the mountain," Danuja answered, pointing down a dirt road. "I could arrange for a trip tomorrow if you'd like."

"Yes, that would be great! Thank you!" Hoshimi beamed.

Danuja smiled. "Such a polite youngster." She brushed a bit of hair from Hoshimi's eyes and her fuschia gaze met her. Hoshimi turned bright red and looked away.

Danuja just looked at her, amazed. "Darling, your eyes are..."

"Horrible. Ugly. Stupid. I get that a lot." Hoshimi shot back.

"...beautiful," Danuja marveled.

Hoshimi looked back up at her, pink eyes sparkling in the evening light. "Really?"

"Of course," said Danuja, lightly rubbing her cheek. "I have never seen anyone with eyes like yours. Don't try to hide them, they're what make you unique. Now, come inside for some nice hot tea. It'll do you good," Danuja instructed, leading Hoshimi towards a building with a sign labeled "Taiyō Ryokan".

The Ryokan was beautiful and cozy, but also spacious. It didn't look much different from the others on the outside, but the inside had low tables, paper screen windows and lanterns sitting on furniture. A small fireplace rested in a corner, and caligraphy in Old Ninjagian hung on the walls.

 A small fireplace rested in a corner, and caligraphy in Old Ninjagian hung on the walls

"Welcome to the Taiyō Ryokan, please make yourself at home," Danuja told Hoshimi, walking behind a counter

"Welcome to the Taiyō Ryokan, please make yourself at home," Danuja told Hoshimi, walking behind a counter. "What kind of tea would you like, Hoshimi?"

Hoshimi thought for a moment. "Chai, please," she confirmed.

"Wonderful decision," Danuja congratulated. "I'll have your tea ready in a few minutes. Walk down that hallway, you can have room 26, on the right. Get settled in, your accomodation is on me."

Hoshimi was flattered by how kind this old woman was being to her. Was everyone this nice to normal people? "Thank you," she said, running down the hall to a door with metal numbers reading 26.

 Was everyone this nice to normal people? "Thank you," she said, running down the hall to a door with metal numbers reading 26

Just as Hoshimi was exploring the room, Danuja walked in with a cup of tea. "Drink this," she instructed in a motherly tone. The tea was the best Hoshimi had ever drank. Obviously the food quality was a lot better here. Seeing the look of enjoyment on her face, Danuja smiled. "I can see you like it. Get some rest, I'll cover the cost for your train ticket tomorrow."

Hoshimi put down her tea "That's nice, but I have money..."

"'Buts' are for sitting. I'm always open to help a stranger."

Hoshimi blushed. "Thanks, I appreciate it." Danuja left the room with an elderly smile and closed the door.

"This is it,"Hoshimi told herself as she drifted off to sleep. "I'm in Ninjago." She felt like everything was perfect. But things were about to take an unexpected turn, for better... or for worse.