Chapter 9

Donald rarely left Gray's side and was allowed to stay after visiting hours. He had Kingsley bring Jawbreaker to and from home since technically Jawbreaker wasn't allowed at the hospital.

The Eungang always visited after school and as much as they wanted to stand in between Donald and Gray, they didn't want Gray to continue being scared of them. They didn't go closer whenever Gray started to flinch at the shortening distance.

Gray hated all of the examinations and check ups the doctors did on him. He would always scream and resist, no matter how much Donald reassured him that they were actual doctors and weren't going to hurt him.

One night, Donald went out to the parking lot for a smoke while Kingsley and Jawbreaker stayed with Gray. Kingsley was going over a workbook with Gray that he had gotten from Hero Cram School.

As Donald smoked his cigarette, the Eungang approached him. It was obvious that Ben and Alex still had the fear instilled into them from last year, but they did their best to keep up a poker face. 

Donald exhaled a large puff of grey smoke. "What?"

"We still don't agree with you being Gray's caretaker," Ben said.

"I don't give a fuck about whether you agree or not," Donald claimed. "What matters is what's best for Gray's health and what he wants,"

"What game are you playing at!?" Alex demanded. "You're trying to manipulate Gray for your own gain!"

Donald glared at them. "Gray's my little brother,"

"Gray isn't—"

Donald grabbed Ben by the throat and slammed him against one of the parking lot columns. "I fucking dare you to finish that sentence. This time I'll make sure you permanently won't be able to use your arm,"

Ben wisely kept his mouth shut. He couldn't defeat Donald Na last year and he knew that if he were to fight him now, even if his friends fought alongside him, they would lose and only end up seriously injured.

XXX

"Are you mad?" Gray asked when Donald returned.

"I'm not mad at you," Donald answered. "I'm mad at Ben Park,"

"Make them go away!" 

"Gray," Donald gently told him. "They're your friends. Right now you're still too panicked to properly recognize them, probably because we're in a hospital with doctors and nurses and you told me that you don't like hospitals. Once you're discharged and we get out of here, you'll probably recognize them again,"

"What did they do to make you mad?"

"They said that you weren't my little brother," Donald informed. "They said that I was manipulating you for my own gain,"

Gray became quiet, as if hesitating to ask his next question. "Donald...why did you save me?"

"Do people need a reason to do something good once in a while?" Donald replied. "I'm not a good person, but I'm not completely evil. I do feel pity and sometimes sympathize with others," He leaned back against his chair. "Kingsley suggested I just bring you to the hospital when I first brought you home but...I...I also hate hospitals and the police. Not for the same reasons as you, but I do hate them,"

"My...childhood wasn't all that great," He really wished he could smoke indoors, but that wouldn't be good for Gray's health. "My father was abusive to me and my mother...He'd get drunk and beat us. There were many times when I thought I was going to die..." His voice cracked as he recalled the painful memories.