Alone Once More

Sea Fairy looked down from the tower of crested ice, not a single trace of hope left inside her. Gripping her sword tightly, she didn't want to hold her tears any longer, especially knowing what she was about to do.

"So this is it...", she whispered. "My own happy ending."

Sea Fairy was no longer the clandestine cookie she once was. Several months have passed after the truth struck her like a clock. A message fell down from the night sky, perfectly sealed inside a bottle intricately crafted by the divine deities her significant other used to tell so much about. The "Wizards", was that they were called?

Nonetheless, the letter was no romantic confession. Instead it was a message of betrayal, a sudden farewell from her dearest who she had yet to hold so lovingly. Sea Fairy dreamed so much of a night where they get to waltz as the constellations watch them like a set of wary eyes. Reading the passage realized how out-of-reach her dream was. Maybe the Cake Witch Moonlight kept pestering about wasn't in the wrong after all...

She watched as the stars spun above her, and the ocean collapsed below. The tower was crumbling in a matter of seconds. If time were here she would've been given one more chance.

God, why does it always have to end like this? Sea Fairy could hear the waves no longer, it was like she was left in a trance. Her hands which were supposed to cling onto her dear life were both free. The sword escaped her grasp, swallowed whole by the deepwaters below. She wanted to plead louder than the roaring of the waves, but solitude silenced her voice and she was left with no other choice.

She promised her, and she never came back.
The maiden of the crescent moon whom she loved all those years was nowhere among the stars.

Moonlight..., she cried. The Ocean Maiden was a soft-spoken one, who always kept her words to herself. The two would spend nights talking to each other, gently listening to the roaring waves accentuated by the twinkling of the stars.

They were a match made in heaven...or by heaven, perhaps. Sea Fairy thought this was it, the very epitome of love. She was the only person who understood her shortcomings, so her confession must come next, right?

She was wrong, so wrong.

As the wind slowly dragged her off the ledge of the tower, her mind was engulfed by harrowing questions about her naivety. For thousands of years she stood on this shallow belief that love is a treasure bestowed upon all, and that heartbreak is a curse temporarily suffused on the unfortunate ones and can be healed in a matter of days, even hours.

She expected her to never let go, to keep that very promise at heart for the next millennia. A future so bright was in store for her...or as she believed it to be.

The cracks began to find their way to the very top where Sea Fairy stood. She was already fastened to the ground by her icebound dress, so it was too late.

With the last of her strength she opened her mouth, uttering one final prayer before her inevitable demise. She felt the weight of the ground below shattered into tiny shards of ice while she embraced this illusion of a hopeless romance one more time before coming to face reality.

Moonlight was never in love with her, nor did she know of her existence. The moment of their encounter was purely by accident and there was no possibility of fate driving them together. The small talks they had mattered no more. Sea Fairy was once aware it'll fade into a memory, but she never thought it was one not worth returning to.

And so, the Ocean Maiden plunged from the highest peak, awaiting her lament from the unruly tides of the great blue. The sea falls into an indefinite slumber once again, waking up on the next harvest moon night.

Maybe someday, she yearned. 'Til we meet again, my love...