Chapter One: Out of the Sky

Nehemia, eldest daughter of the King and Queen of Terrasen, could be often described in four words.

Just like her mother.

It was the fifth time this week she had escaped from her lady-in-waiting's clutches and ran to the only place she sought comfort.
Oakwald Forest.

Nehemia slipped into the stables, already dressed in deep green riding gear to better blend in with the leaves, and lead out her favorite mare. A black Asterion.

"Come now, Midnight, quiet." She whispered.
Throwing herself atop the horse with Fae grace, she leaned over to give Midnight a sugar cube.

"That's it, good horse." She stroked her mane, whispering praise against the horse's coat.

"There she is! Crown Princess! Stop!"

Nehemia whipped her head around to find her lady-in-waiting, and several guards, waving for her.

Damn it.

"Yah!" Nehemia flicked the reins, squeezing her knees into Midnights side as the horse sprinted away, leaving a trail of dust in her wake.

Her hair, white as snow, flew behind her as she laughed. The world around her was a glorious blur, the sounds of the wind and the creatures of the sky, Midnight underneath her making her feel as if she too had wings. Midnight galloped past the guards at the gate who leaped away with terrified shrieks, and Nehemia lifted her hands up and whooped for joy in this blissful fleeting moment.

Within minutes, her beautiful fast Midnight had reached Oakwald forest. Nehemia breathed in the fresh scent of pine and snow that blanketed the land in the heaviest winter Terrasen had seen.

She dismounted from Midnight, giving her another sugar cube, and reached for her saddlebag.
Inside the saddlebag was the same old things, a weathered old journal, and several pens and pots of ink. And a dagger or two.

After tying Midnight to a nearby tree, Nehemia sat and began to write.

She wrote small stories, ones of heroes and heroines, romance and adventure, stories she wished she could experience. But as the Crown Princess, 18 going on 19, she had a duty to uphold. She hated duties.

An adventure isn't going to drop out of the sky. Her mother would tell her when she was little. You have to go looking.

Nehemia sighed. But at that moment, an adventure did fall out of the sky.

And right on top of her.