Chapter 1: A New adventure

The traveling compartment was small but inviting still. The novice student was sitting in one of the train's plaid seats, thoroughly going over her notes in the grimoire and adding a few more, to her heart's content. She was always reading, learning, inquiring... That was how life has always been for her: studying to be the perfect student one day. She'd surround herself with books all the time and essentially live on lock-down, neglecting all social interactions from everyday life and thus failing in making new acquaintances or even friends. She wasn't close to her family either so, lunch and dinner time would get really awkward sometimes. On that note, she'd just eat, study, sleep and repeat in her room. Still, she helped around whenever she could. 

For most people, that was deemed as slave work, but for her, that was a 'mean to an end'. Viola wanted this ever since she could remember. She had always been enthralled with the idea of enrolling in the most prestigious academy in all land and becoming an immediate student of Gedonelune Royal Magic Academy all of her life, and right now, she had accomplished that. She was so proud of herself. Still, there was something that bugged her. On the bottom corner of her acceptance letter, it read: provisional. What could that possibly mean?

Viola was unsure but ironed out her thoughts. She couldn't wait to get there, to finally reach the destination for which she has been working and dreaming her whole life. She was excited as one could be. She was smiling from ear to ear, but without taking her eyes off her reading. One could tell, right?

The vibrations of the train's wheels against the tracks rocked the carriage like a mother would do her child all while outside there was a turmoil of sounds. It had been a peaceful ride; the train's steady speed easily smoothed out the climbs, bumps, and falls, making the trip much more enjoyable and pleasant. The view was also pleasant to look at, but she was more interested in the book on her lap. Seconds felt like minutes, and minutes felt like hours, but then there came the shrill sound of the train whistle. It resonated loudly before dropping down in pitch.

The Acceptance letter hovering in the open pointed at the window with a half-folded edge and called to her attention, "Look, child. We're almost there!" and since she ignored even its second remark, the animated piece of paper tapped her on the shoulder. One, two, three times... to the point it was now shoving her on the shoulder with its cute hand-like edges. "Hey--! Are you listening to me?"

Viola immediately motioned her shoulder back, subtly telling the acceptance letter to stop being a nuisance and just leave her alone. The piece of paper then expressed its dissatisfaction; one could almost see the change in color and the small puff of smoke coming out from the top of the little guy."The audacity of this girl--!"

And, the moment it decided it was going to pinch her cheek, the carriage gave a mighty jolt, thus smearing her writing and completely ruining her notes. Great. Now I have to start all over again. Viola let out an annoyed grunt and a small curse under her breath before finally averting her eyes from her book to the parchment."What?" 

"You really are a rude child, ya know?" The enchanted parchment said, then flew to one of the corners of the carriage and looked down on her with a condescending expression."Haven't your parents taught you some manners?"

"I lost my parents when I was nine--"  The moment she spoke those words out loud, her voice died in her throat; Viola began to feel tears well up in her eyes and, before she knew it, she was full-on sniffling. She blinked hard, trying to push back her tears. What has gotten into her? At this rate, she was going to start crying.