Deep Trouble

AN: it took me so long, but I found a song that semi-fits this chapter. "Weak" by AJR is Linked above. Enjoy some Kass content!

"I've gotten myself into real trouble, Kass," Link lamented, plopping down on the cement curb near his friend. Kass was a street musician who specialized in singing, composing, and playing the accordion. He was quite popular, though he was too humble to admit that. Kass would only have time to street perform on the weekends, considering that he taught lessons every weekday.

Link had been eagerly awaiting Saturday, his ears attuned for the sound of an energetic accordion. When Link had found Kass, he opted to politely listen to the bard for several songs before speaking. At his comment, his friend gave him a glance and a raised eyebrow. Link needed only to hold up the plain, cerulean wallet that snapped shut with a Triforce clip for Kass to let out a long, heavy sigh.

"And who did you swipe that one off of?" Kass questioned dryly.

"That's the problem," Link muttered. "I swiped it off my childhood friend."

"Childhood friend? I don't recall you ever mentioning a childhood friend before."

"Because I had forgotten about her. I can't believe myself."

"And so to make your reunion memorable, you stole from her?"

"No. The truth is much worse. I kissed her, then I stole from her."

Kass laughed heartily. "Oh, my dear friend, you have gotten yourself in deep trouble!" His chuckles eventually died down. "But what could have ever prompted you to steal from someone you clearly care about?"

Link pouted in embarrassment, knowing full well how red his face was. "I don't know," he stammered, "I just... kissed her, and then she started kissing me back and I panicked!"

"So you stole from her."

"She hadn't even recognized me. It's been over a decade since we last saw each other, yet here she was, kissing me back."

Kass snorted. "You say that as if you aren't to blame for kissing her in the first place." Link slammed his head into his hands in self-defeat. "Besides, perhaps she had recognized you at that point."

"I really don't think so," Link replied with a head shake.

"I know you are a genuine person, and toying with a girl is not your style, so I must ask: do you have feelings for her?"

"Once upon a time, I sure as hell did."

"Ah, so this was a release of pent-up feelings." If Link's face could have gone any redder, it would have. "If that's the case, why did you panic when she kissed you back? Shouldn't you have been enjoying yourself?" Kass's expression was equally curious and shit-eating and it made Link want to poke a hole in his accordion.

"I did enjoy myself, but... she doesn't deserve to be kissed by a stranger. She deserves to be kissed by Link. She deserves to properly know my feelings. I was a coward for expressing them the way I did."

"You avoided one confrontation only to pave the way for another. I assume you're going to return her wallet?"

"Yes," Link said miserably.

"Then you mustn't be a coward a second time." Link snapped his head up at Kass's words. "This friend of yours deserves the truth, as do you deserve to live a life free of lies. Lies and regret are the quickest dousers of happiness, you know."

"Maybe she doesn't want to know what I've become."

"She would want the truth, though. All of us do. It is a basic right." Link pondered on his words for a while. Truth was a basic right. But anonymity was so much easier. It would be so tempting to justify himself into going halfway—if he returned the wallet without revealing his identity, he was technically still doing the right thing. Just not the best thing. "Have courage, my friend," Kass concluded, continuing his music. "Fortune favors the brave."

Link exhaled slowly. He made the mess and he needed to fix it.

AN: short, I know, but a necessary scene. Besides, who doesn't love Kass content? ;)