Chapter fourteen

"I think I found a house," Regulus says. His arm is lazily draped around my shoulders as we relax in Sirius's living room. I can hear the steady beat of his heart as I lean my head against his chest, my fingers tracing patterns across his chest.

"Something that compromises?" I tease. Since our breakthrough last night, I've felt a large weight lifted off my shoulders. Slowly and surely, we're taking steps towards a happy life. The fact that I can tease him now is a rather stark contrast to the very beginning of our marriage when I could hardly get a smile out of him. His light chuckle caused by the teasing is an even larger accomplishment.

"It's a tiny bit larger than you've previously envisioned," he admits, "but I think you'll like it. There's two extra bedrooms, a master bedroom, and a small garden."

"Two extra bedrooms?" I laugh, "That's rather suggestive of you."

Regulus shrugs, a pinkness rising to his cheeks "...two wouldn't be so bad now that I'm thinking about it."

I fight the urge to hide my face, suddenly feeling bashful myself, "What a sudden change in stance, Regulus Black."

Regulus runs his fingers down my forearm, "I guess... I mean... maybe not right this moment."

"No, definitely not this moment. A few years from now. Once we've fixed up this house that you've found... I'm sure the garden needs some serious work." A change in subject is needed. We're definitely not ready for that conversation just yet.

"I've never thought of you as much of a gardener."

I sit up to look at him, "I was in honors Herbology! I absolutely thrive in gardens."

"How was I supposed to know that?" Regulus readjusts in the bed, resting his head against his right arm he's placed behind his head.

"I-- I guess you couldn't possibly have known." The moments where we're reminded about the suddenness of our relationship have become less painful but a stiff reminder that we've got plenty of time to get to know each other. I'd like to think we've shared a lot in a short amount of time, and I know him better than most by now. Of course, most of the things I know about him are rooted in the trauma of his parent's choices, but I'd like to think that sharing that information has brought us closer.

"We'll have to make sure the garden is taken care of then."

Smiling, I lean forward to press a kiss to his lips. "You know... Sirius isn't going to be back for maybe an hour longer?"

Regulus chuckles, "You're insatiable, Mistress Black."

***

"You really have to get your own place," Sirius teases. I'm helping him do the dishes, beginning to feel bad about staying at my brother-in-law's home uninvited for over two weeks. When I had brought it up with Regulus, he had insisted I was being ridiculous.

If Sirius wanted us out, we'd be out, he had said. Of course, we disagreed on that. Sirius was much too nice to throw us out, and I had a suspicion (a very obvious one, I might add) that Sirius was happy to have his little brother in his life again. They were starkly different men, but there was a strong bond between them, even if neither would admit it.

"We're signing the papers tomorrow! I'm excited, Sirius. This is such a lovely neighborhood, and now that we've met your friends, I feel like Regulus and I have got an excellent shot at building a real relationship."

"I can't believe you two agreed on that house. I was certain you'd be here for good."

I laugh, "I suppose I caved. I desperately just want to have a home, and it's really a very pretty cottage. Plus, you'll have to visit since it's in such close proximity to the Potter's."

Sirius nods, handing me another dish to dry, "Of course, I'll make it a habit to pop in every so often. Promise you won't try to scar me too many times if I arrive unannounced at a... bad time."

He laughs as I look at him with wide eyes. "I hardly think you'll walk into anything-- Well, we'll try." I can't promise anything as he's already practically done exactly that in his own flat.

"Don't be embarrassed, (y/n). I obviously know what married couples do in their spare time. I'm not even married, and I do the same anytime I'm given the opportunity."

"Sirius," I swat him with the towel in my hand, "Spare me the details."

"What are you two talking about?" Regulus calls from the living room.

"I'm only giving your lovely wife a stern talking to about having sex in other's homes when you know they could walk in at any time," Sirius calls back, "You know maybe I should give you the same lecture since you're just as guilty. It's more fun to tease (y/n) about, though. She doesn't get all moody about being called out."

"I do not get moody," Regulus pads into the kitchen. His hair is mussed, and he has a very moody look on his face.

"Ah, yes, dear. You most definitely do not," I say as I place another plate in the cupboard.

"See?" Regulus looks to his brother, looking a bit too triumphant.

"You spoil him, (y/n). Now he's spoiled and moody."

Fondness fills my heart as I listen to the brothers continue to argue lightheartedly.

"I hardly think that she spoils me," Regulus pulls me towards his chest.

"Hey! I'm still washing the dishes here!" I try to sound serious, but the grin on my face is too wide to successfully feign annoyance at the action.

Sirius rolls his eyes, speaking in a high-pitched girly voice, "Yes, dear! You are so not a moody brat."

"Is that supposed to be me?" I giggle.

"Yes, it's uncanny, isn't it?" Sirius grins, grabbing for the towel in my hands.

"So she indulges me. It's called marriage. We vowed to endure each other's faults." Regulus rests his chin on the top of my head, pulling me impossibly closer to his body.

"Funny, I don't remember doing any such thing," I maneuver to look at him, "tell me, what were the exact words of this particular part of our marriage ceremony?"

"Right before you promised to be faithfully mine till death, I believe," he's got a mischievous look about him. Maybe it's the mussed hair that makes him look young and wild, or maybe the twinkle in his eyes.

I blink twice, trying to think of something to say back. He's practically enchanted me with those words. At one point in our marriage, I would have been disgusted to hear I'd done such a thing. But now? Now, I'm wooed by the words coming from his lips.

Sirius makes a sound of faux disgust, breaking me from my thoughts, "Really? In my kitchen? This is where I eat!"

Regulus frowns, "You're acting like I'm doing something unspeakable to my wife in your presence. I can't make a romantic statement in your presence?"

"Not in my kitchen. Do that in your own kitchen," Sirius has his own glint in his eyes as he says that. The bastard loves teasing his younger brother too much!

"Oh, don't worry, Siri. I plan to."