Chapter 3

After the exhausting dinner he'd been subjected to sit through, in which no less than fourteen fights had broken out between his siblings in the time it took him to reluctantly finish the odd meal, Rin was dragged through the castle by one of the demons he'd been introduced to, Behemoth. The pair were heading for the library for his daily lesson, something that had Rin internally whining about his misfortune.

He'd been kidnapped, yet he still had to go to school!

The demon that accompanied him marched briskly through the vast corridors, turning this way and that, confusing him greatly as the route blurred into one in his mind. He knew for sure that he wouldn't be able to find his own way back to the room he'd been placed in.

Finally, he came to a stop, strangely pressing a palm against the wall. Rin watched, amazed, as the wall disintegrated, opening up to show an enormous library filled to the brim with books as far as his eyes could see.

The room had multiple floors, connected by a spiral staircase in the middle of it all that branched off at intervals to lead to each section. The balconies at the edges of these floors seemed to dazzle in the light of the overhanging chandeliers, made of what was clearly gold. And the books. There seemed to be hundreds of thousands of them lining the shelves, probably more than that even.

Behemoth watched his starry-eyed expression with amusement. " This is his majesty's private library. He has allowed you admittance into here for the time being until he gifts you your own when you turn of age." He walked in, heading for a smaller shelf to the side of the door. " You will read this children's book on the history of Gehenna in this session. It is very vague and moderately easy to read, so I do not think that you will struggle with it, that is if you can read?" He nodded so Behemoth handed the strangely bound book to Rin, who wobbled slightly because it was much heavier than it seemed. He stared at it with a furrowed brow, eyeing his teacher for an explanation that never came. " Hurry along now, we don't have as much time as I would like. I need to get you well versed in the ongoings of this world before you make your first appearance, a feat I do think is near impossible."

Rin was ushered into a chair at one of the many tables dotted around the library, his teacher settling himself in the one opposite, also with a book in hand. He gave the young prince a stern, expectant stare before settling back comfortably.

He cracked the book he'd been given open, groaning at the sight of so many words but little pictures. Rin struggled to read the book, but luckily his teacher was happy to help his prince.

And so, the hierarchy of Gehenna was established under the rule of his majesty, High Lord Satan. Each demon had a place in society, a role to play for the betterment of our lands. No longer would demon-kind act like wandering savages, but as civilised folk that live in cities and participate in celebrations within their communities.

The hierarchy goes as such: Those born from Satan's own blood are Royalty, at the top of Gehennan society. Then

The pair studied their respective books, Rin's noticeably slimmer than his teachers', for quite a long time, until the question that had been heavily weighing on the young boys' mind became too much to bear.

" What does it mean to be a 'Kin of Lucifer', Behemoth?" Rin inquired, looking up from his book after a few moments of deliberation. He had been wondering about the strange phrase since dinner time earlier on in the evening, not understanding what it meant but being too fearful to ask in front of such a large audience.

The older demon sighed, placing down his pen to focus his attention on the young prince in front of him. " To be someone's kin means to be of their blood. I am a Kin of Lucifer because he created me from his blood and power."