Chapter 5

Delilah O'Connor

I can't say that I'm ashamed of how naturally I've settled into this type of environment.

An environment filled with tension, anticipation, and lust is one I'm not familiar with, yet I find that I'm not inclined to steer clear of it.

For such a long time I thought that once I found myself at the start of a real relationship I would have doubts or insecurities, but that has not been the case. I had a sneaking suspicion that this response was specific to these men, and these men only.

Something about the way they carry themselves and converse with me makes me forget my insecurities, breaking down my walls. That's not to say I'm ready to spill my guts to them, but rather that I feel no desire to self-sabotage or overthink a budding bond.

It doesn't even bother me that people might find it inappropriate to be entertaining their advances, because for once I'm not thinking about possible consequences but rather how they make me feel, and that alone.

There we stood with my hands still in his hair and his on my waist, gazing into each other's eyes, in what felt like an inescapable trance. I couldn't get myself to look away, not wanting to risk rushing us back to reality.

Every other kiss I've had has officially been stomped all over by this one, simply incomparable in every way I could think of.

"I feel like I'm interrupting," a voice emerged, breaking the silence we fostered.

My head spun to see Nikolas standing at the top of the deck stairs with an unreserved grin on his face.

I instinctively pulled my hands from Sebastian's neck to his chest to lightly push him back. He, on the other hand, seemed unphased by the interruption but obeyed my silent wish nonetheless, separating from my body to a more respectable distance.

They explained explicitly in Elijah's office that they prefer to share a partner, and still, I was surprised at how smug and unbothered Nikolas looked right at this moment. I know this is going to take a lot of getting used to, especially since I've always had this idea of what a healthy relationship should look like, and this situation I've found myself in definitely breaks some of those rules.

"You are, leave," Sebastian told him, with no indication that he was joking.

Nikolas clearly didn't take him seriously as he continued to walk closer, paying him no mind. He settled on my left, both elbows leaning on the railing behind him, his upper body slightly leaning back over it.

"Leo's bringing Lady back early, said something about her chewing all of his things."

Sebastian only shook his head, whereas I was left confused.

"Who's Lady?"

"Our pig," Nikolas clarified.

The thought of men as seemingly sophisticated as them having a pig as a pet sparked a certain happiness deep in my soul that I can't quite explain. Although they have been throwing curve balls at me at every chance tonight, so this shouldn't come as a surprise.

The image of them spoiling a small animal popped up in my mind, an incredibly endearing thought, and I found it hard to contain the smile forcing its way onto my lips.

"You know, I always wanted to live on a farm when I was younger. You're already making my dreams come true," I say playfully, only half jesting. Though I'm sure this pig is much more pampered and clean than one living on a working farm.

A sudden amplified reverberation of music and chatter had my head whipping toward the house, interrupting our conversation.

My eyes tracked Lawson scurrying over to me in a subtle panic, the door barely having time to close behind her. I scrunch my eyebrows in utter confusion before hastily excusing myself to meet her on the second level of the deck. What could have gone wrong in the short time we were separated?