Finally Awakened

'Hey, sleepy head, I think it's time you woke up. You've been sleeping for forever.'

I hear a voice, but I am too tired to open my eyes and see who is talking to me.

'I'm not talking to you out there. I'm talking to you in your head silly,' the voice says.

Great I'm either dead or crazy now since I hear voices in my head. Just fantastic. My life couldn't get any better.

'Not voices, just my voice. I'm Athena by the way and you are neither dead nor crazy.'

I try talking back to this mysterious Athena and see if she can answer what is going on and why my body feels like I've been sleeping in the same position for days.

'Do you want the entire story? Or the cliff notes version?' she asks.

'The entire story.'

'That might take a while. Why don't we try opening your eyes first and fully waking up before we get into the dark stuff?' Athena suggests.

I slowly open my eyes and squint at the sunlight coming through the curtains that are cracked on the window to my left. I can tell I am laying on an extremely soft and big bed and I am surrounded by red silk sheets. Okay, maybe this isn't all too bad because I am super comfortable right now. I look down and notice a bunch of tubes and wires coming out of me.

'You have a catheter, so you don't have to get up to use the bathroom and you won't be able to get up until someone comes to take it out.'

Now, I'm really confused. Why would I be hooked up to medical equipment but in a bedroom? Where am I and what happened? I pull myself up to lean against the headboard behind me.

'Well since we are stuck here, would you like to talk now? What's the last thing you remember?' Athena asks gently.

I start thinking really hard about the last time I remember being awake and suddenly, my brain is assaulted with images of being tortured and abused by some crazy guy named Derrick. I see all of the whips, punches, the kicks, the taunting words he used.

Athena lets out a whimper as these images assault me, or maybe I'm the one who whimpered. I don't know but next thing I know, the bedroom door swings open and in walks the most handsome man I have ever seen.

He's tall, with dark brown hair, a jaw so chiseled with sharp lines, brown eyes that remind me of caramel, and a muscular body that looks like he could crush me in one hand. I should feel scared after everything I've been through, but I realize I actually feel safe around this man. I don't know why but I do.

I realize I'm still checking him out and immediately snap my eyes to his and hear him gasp. His eyes take on a darker shade of brown for a second and then he slowly walks towards the chair that is positioned right next to the bed I am currently laying in.

'Damn, that man is so fine,' Athena chimes in and I let out a giggle at her statement because I totally agree. The mystery man pauses and a smile spreads across his face taking my breath away. This man's smile could send a lesser woman to her knees. Hell, I kind of want to get on my knees for him.

What the hell kind of thought is that? I just had memories of a very traumatic thing that happened to me and here I am thinking dirty thoughts about some strange man. I instantly shake the thoughts out of my head and speak to this mystery man for the first time.

"Um, hi. Who are you? And where am I?"
...............................................
Beta Renwick POV

I was walking into the pack house to check on my mate during my lunch break when I heard a whimper coming from her. I ran up the stairs and busted through my door to find my beautiful mate sitting up against the headboard, completely awake.

I was so busy being excited that she finally woke up that I almost missed her checking me out but I did catch her at the last second. When her eyes finally met mine, I couldn't help but gasp because her eyes were so beautiful. Her left eye was as green as grass in the spring and her right eye was as blue as the sky on a cloudless day.

I've never met a wolf with different colored eyes, but my mate looks great with them. I slowly made my way to my chair next to the bed and sat down. Even though I went back to my duties a week ago, I sleep in this chair every night, by my mate's side.

It was silent for a long minute while I tried to decide what to say to her but then her voice hit my ears and I swear it sounded as sweet as she looked.

"Um, hi. Who are you? And where am I?"

"Hi. My name is Renwick Harris, and I am the one who found you. You are currently in my room at my home. I brought you here so you could heal," I tell her softly.

She nods her head at me, and her eyes start tearing up.

'Now look what you've done. Said one sentence to our mate and made her cry,' Ares scoffs at me.

"Hey, sweetheart, it's okay. You're okay now. You're safe, I promise," I say to her, grabbing her hand on instinct to comfort her.

She squeezes my hand and says, "I'm crying because I am so happy to be out of that hell. Thank you for saving me Renwick. Also, my name is Zoey Taylor."

'Zoey,' Ares and I repeat. We love it.

"How long have I been asleep? And did I have some major brain damage or something because I swear, I hear a voice in my head talking to me?" She asks nervously.

It takes me a second to realize that she's talking about her wolf. She must have started mind-linking with her when she woke up and thought she was just hearing voices.

I chuckle and say, "It's very nice to meet you Zoey. You've been asleep for a little over three weeks. It took your body quite a while to heal and no to the brain damage. There's a lot we need to talk about if you're ready to hear it."

She nods her head once at me. "And you may hate me when I tell you everything. I completely understand if you do but please hear me out about everything first before deciding," I say while Ares releases a pained whimper at the thought of our mate hating us for any reason.

I take a deep breath and explain how werewolves exist, what we are, what packs are, and how when we found her, I changed her. When I finally finish explaining, Zoey looks at me and then bursts out laughing so hard that she has tears running down her cheeks.

"Wait, so you're telling me that werewolves are real, that we are at your pack's house, and you are one and now so, am I?" she asks while still laughing.

I slowly nod my head up and down. "Yes."

"Yeah, I have to have brain damage, or I am still asleep, or dead. This isn't real. It can't be."

'Our mate doesn't believe or trust us. Tell her to ask her wolf,' Ares whines.

"Ask the voice in your head and she will tell you it's the truth. That's your wolf. I can also show you, if need be," I suggest.

I watch her eyes glaze over as she talks to her wolf and after a few seconds, her eyes return to normal and she says, "Well, Athena, the voice in my head, confirms everything you said but I think you are going to have to show me some proof because this is just too crazy to believe."

'Athena. Goddess, that's such a perfect name for her wolf and my mate,' Ares sighs.

'Well, it seems we are going to have to show our mate that you are real,' I tell him.

Ares chuckles as I get out of the chair and grab a pair of shorts from my dresser and take them to the bathroom. I don't want to freak her out by getting naked in front of her so I'm just going to sacrifice these ones and let them rip when I shift.

'You ready, Ares? Remember, be gentle with her. Don't freak her out,' I tell him sternly.

'Got it, gentle. Let's do this,' he says excitedly.

"You ready? Don't freak out please. My wolf nor I would ever harm you sweetheart," I tell Zoey.

She just nods and me and I focus on calling Ares forward in my mind. He takes over and I feel my body beginning to shift. A few seconds later, I'm staring at my mate through Ares' eyes and she's staring at us with her mouth hanging open and wide eyes.

'I think she believes us now Ares.'