CHAPTER 32

Warmth spread through Devyn as he and Denzyl held hands beneath the stars. A cool, night breeze tousled the human's soft brown hair as he drove through the colorful streets of Daedoeshi. Kilo looked over to see his star gazing around with the same wide eyes he had watched the universe with for the past one-hundred-and-sixty-four years of his life. The angel and star were sitting in the back row of the open-air land rover while the demon was in the front passenger seat next to the human driver.

Castyr's silver hair flowed in the wind as Devyn drove the four to the edge of the bright city. Kilo held the metal bars that served as the frame for the open-air, four-passenger, off-road vehicle. Castyr looked over at his angel, consuming Kilo's every thought with his star-filled eyes as he reached over and took his angel's hand in his. The star smiled at the angel as he scooted closer to Kilo and leaned against the purple-eyed man's chest. Kilo shifted in his seat to make sure Castyr was comfortable and ran his fingers through the star's silver hair. A small smile came to Kilo's lips as the star's eyes reflected the vibrant colors of the city as Castyr gazed up at him lovingly.

Devyn increased the speed of the rover as the vehicle left the bounds of the city. Denzyl remained silent as he observed their surroundings. Devyn steered the land rover to drive parallel to the river exiting the city for several miles. Once they were a good distance from the city, Devyn turned the rover away from the riverbank and entered a wide field of short, sparse vegetation. The vehicle soon came to a stop toward the center of the field, and Kilo and Castyr hopped out of the rover, walking a few paces away before turning their heads to the star-lit sky.

Devyn kept the vehicle running to leave a source of light as he and Denzyl stepped out into the dark field. Castyr breathed in the fresh night air and released a heavy sigh. The star turned to Kilo and said with a smile, "We're going home."

Kilo smiled softly and nodded. "Mm-hmm," the angel responded as he stepped behind his star and wrapped his hands around Castyr's waist before setting his chin on the star's shoulder. Castyr leaned into Kilo as Devyn walked over to the couple and turned his head to the sky. The human let out a breath as he looked at the vast stars shimmering against the darkness. Denzyl soon joined the three and hugged Devyn from behind once he had checked their surroundings. The four stood quietly, each enjoying being with their lover and not wanting to let go.

After a few minutes had passed, Kilo whispered to his star, "Ready?" Castyr looked back at the angel and nodded his head. The two interlaced their fingers as they stood apart. Devyn and Denzyl watched as the angel and star got ready to depart, Devyn remaining in the demon's warm embrace. Their peace was short-lived, however, when Denzyl stiffened and looked in the direction of the distant city.

"What is it?" Devyn inquired when he sensed the change in the man holding him.

"Demons," Denzyl growled as he continued to look at the city. Kilo heard Denzyl's snarl and whipped his head in the direction of the faint scent of demons, his eyes widening when he saw several lights racing toward their location.

"Everyone, get back in!" Devyn called as the lights approached the four at great speed. The human looked to see Kilo take Castyr by the waist and spread his wings. Just like that time with the dendrum, Devyn called out in warning, "No, Kilo. There's not enough time. They'll just shoot you down."

Kilo quickly processed the human's warning and nodded in agreement. He and Castyr would be easy targets.

Denzyl took the driver's seat as Castyr and Kilo hopped into the back of the vehicle. Devyn opened the front glove box and extracted a pistol. The human readied the gun in the passenger seat as Denzyl sped away from the lights.

How did they find us? Castyr asked his angel through their link.

I don't know. Kilo replied as he turned to look back at the approaching lights. I don't think Heaven is safe.