Chapter Two

Before I could snatch up Snoopy and run, Aunt Kanika grabbed my arm. I tried jerking free and begged her to let go. She ignored my pleas and started tugging me to the doorway.

Snoopy does not like when I am upset or in danger. He bared his teeth and growled like a dog. A wolf. He then jumped high and landed on my aunt's head. He rubbed his tiny paws on her hair to mess it up. He held strands in his small mouth and pulled and pulled. He probably wanted to rip them out. He hates my family as much as I do.

Aunt Kanika shrieked and let go of my arm. "Get out of my hair, you rat!" She grabbed for Snoopy, but he kept jumping out of her reach.

I covered my mouth using both hands and snickered. I could not help it. Snoopy makes me smile and laugh.

"Gotcha!" She successfully wrapped a hand around his waist and squeezed.

Snoopy uttered a squeak of despair.

"Snoopy!" It was my turn to grasp Kanika's arm. Anger was boiling up in me. No one hurts my only buddy and gets away with it! "Let him go! You are hurting him!"

Snoopy scrunched up his body and stopped moving.

I freaked out. I was scared that he was dead! "Snoopy!" I gripped Kanika's other arm and managed to push her against the wall. I screamed in her face. "I will end you if you kill him!"

Snoopy moved again and slid out of her hand. He leapt onto my shoulder and hissed at her.

"You are lucky that he is alive. But if you ever grab him like that again or even touch him, I will create a potion eviler than Grandma! Then I will—"

"So you will create a potion eviler than me, eh?"

My heart sank when I heard the sharp, eerie voice. One that I have not heard in over a year. I felt the tiny hairs on my arms hiding in my sleeves and my legs. I felt the goosebumps on my skin too. I released Kanika and hid under the wooden table. Snoopy buried his cute face in my neck and quivered. Call us scaredy-cats. We are not ashamed. I am not ashamed, at least. You would shake in your boots too if you knew my grandmother.

"Get out from under there, Witch," Grandma ordered.

I was on my belly while protecting my head and neck. I tried ignoring her. My black hair was over my face. My eyes were shut tight. I did not dare look at her. When I gaze into her bloodshot eyes, I spot evil that exists only in the place opposite of Heaven. Stuff that I cannot say in this book.

How am I related to a witch? Literally.

"I will get her, Mom," Aunt Kanika said.

"No," Grandma replied immediately. "Witch must do it herself. Witches and warlocks should listen carefully to one another, especially their own flesh and blood." Her voice grew cold. "Witch. Get out from under that table. Get on your two feet and look at me."

I forced myself to speak. "Leave me alone."

"Get out from under that table. Now. I am not saying it again."

I smacked my hands on the cold floor and whipped my hair back. I lifted my head, but I did not open my eyes. "Leave me alone! I want you and Kanika to leave me be - forever!"

"Shall I drag her out now?" Aunt Kanika asked.

"No," Grandma refused for a second time. "I know how to get her to crawl out."

Footsteps moved close to the table. I dropped my head and hid my face in my hands. I had this sinking feeling that she would use dark magic on me.

"Witch. Do you want to see or feel dark magic?"

I shook my head.

"Answer me."

"No."

"Then I suggest that you climb out and follow me."

"Where are we going?"

"To your room to chat. Just you and me."

"About what?"

I felt her crushing my arm. I let out a scream that filled the room. Probably the entire village. I shed a tear.

"Do not stall any longer, or I will not hesitate snapping your arm like a chicken bone."

I opened my eyes wide, but I still did not look at her. "I will come out now. I will come with you."

"Excellent. I will let go of your arm once we are in your room."

I had no choice. I did not want my poor arm snapped. I climbed out and stood. My eyes were still closed.

"Good girl. Now open your eyes."

"No. Please."

"Witch."

"I cannot look at you. Whenever I do, I get queasy, like that I am about to puke."

"You will get over that once you become a better witch. The key is control."

"What if I never become a witch?"

"You will, even if I must snap every single bone in your body."

I could not believe that Grandma did not mind hurting her own granddaughter. I ought to conjure up a potion that makes her and my other relatives forget me. Then Snoopy and I could finally run away and live our lives.

Not even a minute later, we were in my bedroom. I was sitting on the edge of my bed with both legs dangling. I was gazing at the floor. Grandma was looming over me even though that she was across from me in a seat. She is the tallest person in the family.

"I will not make you have eye contact with me, but I do expect you to listen and answer correctly. Are we clear, Witch?"

"Yes."

"Staying with Aunt Kanika is not helping you become a witch. Your witchcraft and potions have not improved. Luckily, I know how you can be an expert overnight."

"I do not do witchcraft," I mumbled. "I prefer death."