Chapter Seven

Snoopy going from running to bouncing with each step in front of me, we raced back to what I guessed was the witch village deep in these woods, dodging the thin and thick trees while I was trying to not crush Snoopy's tail. In between breaths, I ordered him to not run quick like a cheetah, or I will surely lose him. He looked up at me, his bright pink nose twitching as if he were part-rabbit. His running and bouncing slowed. I thanked him - and asked if he is part-bunny or had been watching one too many bunny videos. He leapt high into the cold air and did not one, but two huge somersaults before returning to the ground on all fours. He is more talented than the black cats in the village.

Snoopy and I jogged the rest of the way. I said, "Are the somersaults a yes or a no?"

He shrugged.

"So you do not know if you are half-rabbit or have been binging rabbit videos?"

We knew that we were nearing the witch village thanks to the skinny, black cat that chose to cross our path. All the witches, including Grandma, let their heartless cats roam the village, so you are bound to step on a cat's tail and be hissed to the oblivion by the cat. These mystical cats unfortunately do not stay hidden inside the woods. They will sometimes venture into the kingdom to cause rifts between the humans and steal food for themselves and other things for their heartless owners, like special ingredients - as well as humans. I have not heard about or seen a witch with an unlucky human ready to go into her cauldron, though. This does not mean that humans have not been cooked alive.

I am still living in the village only because the kingdom will never accept me. How do I convince humans that I only wish to live with them in harmony?

The black cat halted directly in front of me and Snoopy and squinted at us, its orange eyes glowing. No. Only at Snoopy. It acted as if I did not exist. Its fur and thin tail instantly stood. Its back arched. It bared its teeth sharp enough to cut open skin. Its hiss traveled through these woods.

I stood next to my ferret and nudged the tip of my shoe against the cat's side. I wanted to kick the rude cat, but it was still an animal. Its rudeness was not its fault. If it was being cared for by somebody like me...or I guess, a witch with some morals...it would not be vicious like its feline friends. It would be as energetic as Snoopy. Then I had an idea. A stupid idea, but some stupid ideas turn out as the best option.

The cat hissed again. Snoopy's back arched too, and his paws spread out, prepared to attack if that cat pounced on him or me.

I bent my knees and stretched out my hands to the cat. "Come to me, kitty. We will not hurt you - if you do not hurt us."

It acknowledged me and swiped a paw at my hands. Its dark claws would have successfully slashed my skin if I did not retract my hands in time.

I gazed into the cat's eyes. "Do not try slashing at me or my pet. I am the witch queen's granddaughter. She will be displeased if she sees scratches on her grandchild. If she finds out that you scratched me, there goes all your nine lives. Your owner might get punished too. Mmm."

The cat's teeth vanished behind its lips. It then lowered its furry head, checking me out to be positive that what I had explained was true. That I was one of Grandma's, the witch queen's, beloved grandchildren. It must have finally recognized me because it dropped its back - and hurried in the opposite direction. So much for my idea. I was going to try befriending the poor cat. The witches could care less about their cats, which is why those cats behaved viciously as if they had rabies.

I wanted to catch the cat. I had to if I wished to nurse it back to health. Not only physically, but also mentally.

How did acknowledging Snoopy not hint to the cat that it was me, Witch? Man, I despise my name. I would not be surprised if Grandma was only lying about me being her favorite granddaughter to keep me in line. Many of the witches and warlocks, including my own family, are unfortunately aware that my heart is not set on being a famous - or should I say, infamous - witch. I truly want to use my potion-making skills to help the humans and unique monsters. Could I bring the groups together? If the kingdom did not accept the real me, then no. It was worth a shot, though.

Before I could command him to chase that cat - but not harm it - Snoopy went after it, his small paws smacking the ground. I followed suit. Glad that I am somewhat of a quick runner. I would have eaten Snoopy's dust.

We caught up to the black cat. Snoopy leapt up and did another one of his cool somersaults. He landed right in front of the cat. His front paws held down the poor cat, who jerked back its head and let out a shrieking meow.

"Terrific work, Snoops," I praised, squatting behind his captive and wrapping my arms around its middle.

The cat's head was moving wildly as if this animal were possessed.

"Remember what might happen if you leave any marks on me."

The cat dropped its head - and sank its sharp teeth into Snoopy's nose and the space surrounding it.

"Snoopy!"

His triumphant expression instantly turned to despair. But he did his best to ignore the stinging pain and kept the cat's paws pinned down.

"Let him go!"

"Witch!"