Chapter 1

Y/N Y/L/N has studied at Hogwarts for 6 years and this year she decided it was time to make the place she called home actually feel like home, well she'd try her best...

Ever since her first year, after being sorted into Hufflepuff she had a strange welcoming feeling about the place, at first she thought it was the magic but soon realized it was the way she was mistreated at home. Y/N was a muggle-born witch, her parents never really approved of her being a witch, however, they allowed her to attend Hogwarts, but they never welcomed her home for Christmas or during the summer holidays she was never allowed to leave the house. So when everyone would go home to their families she remained at Hogwarts, mainly in the library, due to her lack of friends. This made her very advanced in magic for her age, but only teachers knew since she didn't participate vocally in class and only showed her expertise in assignments. Well you see, Y/N had a fear of rejection caused by her parents. This made her numb to the news she received on Christmas eve of her second year.

It was about 4 am when she was suddenly awakened by her favourite professor, Minerva McGonagall, who she'd spent a lot of time with during Christmas. McGonagall asked Y/N to follow her to Dumbledore's office where they told her that her parents had sadly departed in a drunk car accident. For the next few days Y/N shed a few tears, she did love them, but she figured the tears weren't worth her time since, to them, she wasn't worth their time.

With classes nearing, Dumbledore asked to see her in his office again. He had been put in a predicament. Apparently, when Y/N received her Hogwarts letter, her parents obliterated her from their lives, pretending she passed away to the rest of her family, meaning she didn't have anyone to take care of her.

That day Dumbledore gathered 12-year-old Y/N and Minerva McGonagall in his Office.

"Well miss L/N, I'm sorry to inform you but you don't seem to have anyone to take you in. You will have to be put in a children's home, but not to worry, we have had previous experience-" Dumbledore started saying to Y/N, who was already mindful of the situation, but Minerva had a whole different perspective on what was happening and was brisk to interrupt the headmaster.

"This is outrageous! She is a remarkable girl. There is no way I'm allowing her to be sent away to live in an adoption house by herself. She belongs in Hogwarts. This is her home!" Professor McGonagall cried out. Y/N and Professor Dumbledore were startled by her outburst but seemed to understand where she was coming from. After all, Dumbledore was also quite attached to this student. He was well aware of her shy, kind, and bright personality, and how she wouldn't suit the magical adoption or fostering system.

"There is another option", Dumbledore mumbled under his breath, uncertain of how precisely to make this work, but all four other ears in the room seemed to be listening carefully to the next words. "If you are both willing to follow through with this, you must know, it cannot be permanent" Both the people in the room seemed to insist the headmaster continue, so he did "Miss L/N, I will allow you to live here under the supervision of Professor McGonagall- as long as you maintain your studies and vow to keep this arrangement out of the other pupil's knowledge".

Y/N eyes widened and she nodded her head vigorously "Of course, Professor" she complied. Minerva smiled at Dumbledore, pleased at what she accomplished for the Little Witch.

And so they went on living at Hogwarts until her third year when McGonagall made her an offer.

"Thank you for meeting me Y/N. Irma informed me how busy you were in the library, but this couldn't wait," She said hurriedly with a letter in her hand which she kept glancing at, which made Y/N extremely nervous. "As you know, our deal with the Headmaster was that your stay here would be temporary and I believe I've found a solution as to where you will be staying during holidays from now on" Minerva was nervous, she didn't want Y/N to leave, but Albus had been pressuring her to solve this issue, as the Ministry of Magic had started paying more attention to the school recently, due to the ongoing war. Y/N was now fidgeting with her robe sleeves, hoping her H/L hair was enough to cover the pool of tears in her eyes. She didn't want to leave. She was terrified of what was out there. No one ever liked her. How could she leave Hogwarts, even if it was only for two months, but she listened. "An old student of mine, Miss Ruth, runs a camp during summer for young Witches and Wizards like yourself. They usually don't have a place to stay or feel excluded from the Wizarding World" Y/N hated this, a few stray tears leaving her eyes, which Minerva noticed and ran over to her side, embracing her "Listen, dear, I know the situation is not ideal, but I want you to try... try to fit in, maybe make some friends. I know you've been avoiding forming close bonds due to our situation however if you go to this camp everything will change" Y/N nodded weakly "okay... I'll do my best", she whispered. She always did anything Minerva asked of her because of their close bond.

And so she did her best.