Chapter Two: The Change

There was another girl staring back at me as I looked in the mirror. Her lilac eyes pierced into mine teasingly.

This is me...

"No, it can't be!" I screamed in my head.

Someone unrecognizable had replaced my twenty-one-year-old self.

I stared at myself as the cold mirror left a prickling sensation on my fingertips. The chocolate brown hair that was there yesterday was now gray, but shiny.

Was that silver?

My eyes darted to my cheeks. They felt as warm and damp as they looked, and far less chubby than they were yesterday.

The most significant difference was my skin. It almost matched my hair, only looking about a shade lighter. You could see the blue veins in my body.

What was happening to me?

The air started feeling tight, and a sudden wave of despair rushed through my body. The room felt like it was getting smaller by the second, and I had no way of escaping it. I have felt this before. It felt as if there was a boulder on my chest, weighing me down and preventing me from moving.

Am I sick?

What kind of illness even looks like this? I gulped, unable to understand what was going on with me. My somewhat normal appearance had suddenly changed. There were no scars, no pimples, no inflammation. Just a pale girl, looking perfectly dead.
I slowly inched to my upper arm, preparing myself for the pain I was about to feel. The pinch didn't do anything. It only solidified the fact that none of this was a horrible nightmare.

Without giving it a second thought, I rushed to my sister's room. The warm ray of sunshine shone through the window, warming up my skin as I ran down the hallway.

"Faith!" I breathed out the moment I reached her door.

The wood sent a vibration through my arm as I pounded on the door.

"Faith, you have to wake up!"

I heard some rummaging on the other side of the door as well as a low groan. I guess waking up at six in the morning was not ideal.
Likewise, I saw the doorknob twist, being followed by a creaking sound of the door. Seeing Faith early in the morning wasn't my cup of tea either.

"What do you want?" She asked, covering her mouth as she yawned.

I didn't say anything. I just waited for her to notice me. What would I say to her anyway? "Oh, it's just a magical fairy visiting me at night and changing my whole appearance."

Of course, I couldn't say that!

The moment she lay her gaze on me, she froze for a moment. This is it. The moment before all hell breaks loose.

"Who the fuck are you?!" she screeched as her eyes scanned across the room, looking for anything that she could use as a weapon against me.

"What's going on?" I heard Alec, in the background.

It only took a couple of seconds for him to finally be visible. My best guess would be that he was putting his clothes on.

"Oh, God. I knew you were going to freak out. It's me, Ashley!" I comforted her.

Faith took a second to let it all sink in. I could see the confusion in her eyes and believe me sister, me too.
This wasn't something they would accept quickly. The fear of them thinking this is a prank finally sank through my body. Why didn't I think of that earlier? Of course, she wouldn't believe me! When has she?

Alec and Faith, both, slowly stepped out of their bedroom and led me to the kitchen. It wouldn't take a genius to know that this would be awkward. We all expected this morning to go as silent as it could be. Last night wasn't exactly a family fun night. It was supposed to be that, but as usual, Ashley was always the one to ruin everything.