𝐑𝐄𝐔𝐍𝐈𝐎𝐍 | 𝐕𝐈𝐈

╒═══════════════╕

𝐃𝐎𝐍'𝐓 𝐓𝐄𝐌𝐏𝐓 𝐌𝐄

╘═══════════════╛

'My Clever Fox,' I murmured.

'The time for explanations was long over.'

THOUGH RAVKA VALUED me, and most people at the palace grudgingly respected me, I was nothing more than an asset

THOUGH RAVKA VALUED me, and most people at the palace grudgingly respected me, I was nothing more than an asset. I was not well known. Now, as the Ocean Summoner, I am recognized as someone born to destroy the Fold. I worked relentlessly to be the assassin I am now. Yet, it was all thrown away the moment I discovered my abilities. No one cares who I was before.

I pushed those thoughts away. As long as I know who I am.

Instinctively, I was alert, my body coiled and tense. Ready to spring.

"Easy, Angelique," the privateer whispered. "Put those blades away. Let me handle this."

"Since you've handled everything else so well, Sturmhond?" I whispered back.

Sturmhond's throat bobbed. His eyes shut close for a second too long. "It might be wise if you didn't call me that for a while."

My eyes widened a fraction. The small show of my surprise, and only Sturmhond didn't miss it.

I was cut short from my reply as the soldiers cantered to a halt in front of us, the morning light glittering off their rifles and sabers. A young captain drew his blade. "In the name of the King of Ravka, throw down your arms."

Sturmhond stepped forward, placing himself between the enemy and his wounded crew. He raised his hands in a gesture of surrender. "Our weapons are at the bottom of the lake. We are unarmed."

The young captain glanced at my dual blades. I sighed and dropped them. Then for good measure, I deftly kicked the bronze weapons. They skidded to a stop in front of the captain.