𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐋𝐀𝐊𝐄 | 𝐗𝐕𝐈𝐈𝐈

╒═══════════════╕

𝐃𝐎𝐍'𝐓 𝐓𝐄𝐌𝐏𝐓 𝐌𝐄

╘═══════════════╛

'Because you would stare at the

glittering surface of the crystal water

for hours on end and never get bored.

And I liked that fascination of yours, Angelique.'

THE DAYS GREW LONGER

THE DAYS GREW LONGER. The sun stayed close beneath the horizon, and the festival of Belyanoch began in Os Alta. Even at midnight, the skies were never truly dark, and despite the fear of war and the looming threat of the Fold, the city celebrated the endless hours of twilight. In the upper town, the evenings were crowded with operas, masques, and lavish ballets. Over the bridge, raucous horse races and outdoor dances shook the streets of the lower town. An endless stream of pleasure boats bobbed through the canal, and beneath the glimmering dusk, the slow-moving water circled the capital like a jeweled bangle, alight with lanterns hung from a thousand prows.

The heat had relented slightly. Behind the palace walls, everyone seemed in better spirits. I'd continued to insist that the Grisha mix their Orders, and at some point, I still wasn't sure how, uncomfortable silence had given way to laughter and noisy conversation. There were still cliques and conflicts, but there was also something comfortable and boisterous in the hall that hadn't been there before.

I was glad—even a little proud—to see Fabrikators and Etherealki drinking tea around one of the samovars, or Fedyor arguing a point with Pavel over breakfast, or Nadia's little brother trying to chat up an older and decidedly disinterested Paja. But I felt as if I were watching them from a great distance.

I'd try to talk to Mal after what happened. But I suppose he thought he should keep his distance now. He always made an excuse when I tried to talk to him. But Mal kept to his guard duties, stood silently in doorways, and maintained a respectful distance as he trailed me around the grounds.