08 | Apologize

"Your paranoia, it happens all the timeAnd that's 'cause lying's a big problem of mine"

And that's 'cause lying's a big problem of mine"

⊏ --------------- ⊐

THE MUSIC THAT graced my ears was different from what I expected. It wasn't just jazz music, as the lyrical aspect reflected greatly R&B characteristics. The man on the mic had a higher-pitched voice, sounding androgynous but not losing the power behind each vocal.

It was mesmerizing, my heart picking up speed with each change in tempo and freestyle solo the musicians did. It didn't sound like every instrument was battling for the spotlight either, as each musician allowed themselves a chance to shine and then blend easily into the next instrument before all coming together again. 

It wasn't piano music or pop music that blared from every car's radio, nor was it the accustomed-to jazz music. It was something special, fluid; flowing with each unplanned beat. 

Sometime during the band's performance, more people began to show up. But despite the growth in drinkers, the bar remained respectfully on the quieter side. Sipping whatever beer or whisky was in their glass, devoting their attention to the music and soft chatter. It was honestly peaceful. Unusual, but peaceful. Even Elliot began taking breaks in his constant bartending and cleaning to lean pleasantly on the counter, looking admirably at the band. Whenever Esmée or James breached a solo, the corner of his lips would turn upwards.

After around 80 minutes of consistent playing, the music died down a bit. James set down his saxophone after a 5-minute solo, seemingly out of breath, and turned his focus over to where William and Elliot sat, passing a grin.

Refilling my glass with a different sweet concoction, Elliot nodded his chin towards me. "What did you think?"

I glanced between him and the 3 remaining musicians on stage who were still playing. "It was actually very remarkable. Do they do this every night?"

"Only twice a week, and William here, comes to almost each and everyone," William turned his full focus towards us upon hearing his name. 

For some reason, I nearly almost forgot he was even here. The silence was easily replaceable with the music playing instead of his voice, or absence of such. Seeing William with the same blank expression he carried like a loaded gun, only made me more exhausted by his behavior. Certainly, he didn't act like this towards Elliot and his other friends, right?

"Wouldn't miss it," William finally spoke up, though his gaze rested on me rather than the man who imposed the question. "Not for anyone."

Bitterly, I pressed my lips into a thin line, filling in the blanks he left open. If I was inferring right, he basically just excused me as a distraction or annoyance to his life. Brandishing my face from any emotion, I forced myself to not care. Why should I? I considered William to be just as much a nuisance in my life as he is reciprocating. But that didn't stop me from suddenly missing the comfort of my empty bedroom.