6. Gone Nuts

Baze

***

That morning, Alyx and I decided to make some eggs and pancakes with sausage. As we cooked, I replayed the weird dream I had last night. It felt more like a nightmare when it ended with me dying at the hands of the Lycans in the most gruesome way. The deranged appearance of the Lycans climbing over me and chewing into my skin caused me to shiver.

A dream did occur before the nightmare, but was too cloudy for me to bring to the front of my mind.

"How'd you sleep?" My mate had asked me before we made our way to the kitchen. I lied and told him I was perfectly fine even though I felt so confused and barely slept after the nightmare interrupted the peace.

On their way to meet with the other vampires, Veronica had brought me a few blood bags with Piero at her side. I was reluctant in taking them, but the conversation yesterday convinced me to quit being "silly" as Sebastian had put it. I wished them well on their trip after they informed me that Christian will stop by to give me more later.

Alyx gave me an ultimatum by promising that he would cook pancakes if I was able to drink at least one cup of blood.

That one cup quickly turned into 3 out of 5 blood bags...

Alyx's eyes were wide when I licked the remaining drops around my lips.

"Do you still want--?"

I was already nodding before he could finish his question. Even though I finished 3 blood bags, I want more food! He chuckled at my excited dance in the island chair.

The blood gave me so much energy that my senses felt in check. I no longer felt weak, my vision cleared and the temperature in the kitchen quickly faded around me.

Placing two pancakes, scrambled eggs and sausage on a plate, my mate came my way.

When Alyx placed it in front of me, I suddenly felt... weird.

He quickly noticed, "Are you ok?"

I felt ok, but instead of feeling neutral my body began to feel like it was overheating just a little. My clothes consisted of a dark blue tank top with my blue and white plaid pajama pants. It wasn't clothes I usually felt hot in and yet that's exactly what I started feeling.

Nodding at his question, I grabbed the small dining mat on the island and started fanning myself. My hair is in a low ponytail so it wasn't the culprit as to why I started burning up.

"Baze?" Alyx frowned. "Are you sure you are ok?" His eyes watched the mat I fanned myself with.

"I feel like I'm burning up," I admitted, puzzled.

Alyx placed a hand on my forehead then my cheek and touched my arm as I took a sip of my water.

"That's it, I'm calling Briana."

"I'm sure it's normal."

"You overheating isn't normal," he protested.

"I am pregnant with a shifter's baby, your baby." I frowned at him, "You are 110° Fahrenheit on average." He didn't look pleased by my response, just held his phone in hand with a grim look on his face.